icon

choosing the correct subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
olds442 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

i have been reading alot of post on this forum and decided to join up. it seems like there is alot of knowledge here, so i would like to take advantage of that. i have a '03 tundra ext. cab. the floor pan under the pass. side rear seat has been cut out and a new custom one has been welded in. this has giving me a enclosure area of appox. 1.7 cu. ft. the enclosure is 12" deep on one side and angles upward towards the middle of the truck were it is 7" deep. i have enough width to install 2 10" subs that are average depth (5-6") or a single twelve that could be of a larger depth. my local shop went out of business before the install could be completed, so i am going to research this and finish it myself. i was wanting some advice on what sub or subs would work well for this application. i was thinking a pair of alumapro alchemy 10's or a pair of 10" arc a-r-c- subs. but i could also do a single idmax 12, a single arc flatline twelve or any of the larger "sql" type 12's. there are so many choices and i have heard so few of these higher performance subs that i am not sure which route to take. here are a few other factors that would help to determine what to use. i listen to jazz, hip-hop, rock, heavy-metal, basically any kind of music. my front stage will consists of a focal polykevlar 3-way set (6.5's, 4.5's and tweets) ran though a zapco eq to zapco amps giving 200watts per side to the front. i will be using a zapco amp for my sub(s) as well that is rated at a little over 1,000 watts @ 4 ohm. also i would like to stay at a 4 ohm load on my sub(s) just to ensure that everything stays running cool and clean. i am looking for nice tight bass, but i would like to be able to step it up on bass heavy material and really be able to feel the punch. i would really appreciate any advice you could give

jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
Being an owner of an iDMax 12, I'm slightly biased. It's a wonderful SQ woofer and with it's very capable excursion coupled with 1000 watts RMS power rating she can play plenty loud for a daily driver.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  

If you are willing to spend "Focal money" don't forget to look at the Morel line.

Your sub amp.... Alpine PDX1.1000. I think you will find some awfully good reviews of that amp on this site Haemphyst is the guy to ask!

And the beauty of the PDX is same power output at 4, or 2 ohms. And tiny little things.  The IDQ subs are sweet, the 12 is 8.50 mounting depth...sounds

like you might have room. ??   10's are 7.5. I would have a pair of those over the single 12. I would utilize a sealed enclosure based on your varied listening.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  

You should also check out the Shiva-X by Exodus Audio linked here: http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_93&products_id=653

Don't let the extremely low price fool you.  It'll keep up with any of the subs mentioned thus far in output and SQ.  It just doesn't have the flashy looks that some of the others have, along with a lack of a flashy price. choosing the correct subwoofer -- posted image.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

Kephart wrote:
It just doesn't have the flashy looks that some of the others have

I dunno - that sub looks awfully nice to me.  I *love* that simple cone and traditional dustcap - that thing is - uhh - "classy"

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
olds442 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
thank you for the advice. i have thought about the idmax alot, i still don't know if i should do 2 10's or 1 of these higher output 12's. i guess i can move more air with 2 10's, but i won't be able to play as low.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
*sigh*
Why do people think 10's cannot play as "hard" or "low" as 12s.
Sir the sound and output the subwoofer makes is 90% dependent on the enclosure.
I had people guessing I had two 15's and 1000 watts when I had a single 12 and 250 watts.
capamonkeyboy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Are you going to put wood in there or just use the metal? Metal has a really bad sound, it is not natural. If you are putting the speaker in a wood box, you should be good with whatever, pick what you like. Be aware that with the size of your cab, your cab will act as a low frequency resonator similar to a bandpass box with no low end. This means your bass below 80hz will be fairly linear anyway, the low end dropoff ends up becoming a function of the amp/deck/sub falloff below 20hz.
The best security is to not have anything to steal, but then again your car would be pretty boring.
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

same here.  everyone i work with thinks i have 2 12s in my car with a bunch of power.  i never showed my system to anyone at work...   an i am honestly only running one L5 10 with a pheonix gold 500.2  so about 500 by one at 2 ohms.  in small sealed enclosure also..  .75 cu.ft.

but on your note  deffinetly check into morel  or audison/ hertz,  i have always likedthe jl 10 w3 for smaller enclosure areas..  awsome response and clarity also..

you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
olds442 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
i do plan on putting wood inside the metal box. i have already lined the box with dynamat and a thin layer of fiberglass, and will put another layer oy dynamat down before the wood.i think i have my choices narrowed down. either a pair of 10 inch alumapro alchemys ( i had a pair of these in the past and was pleased) or a 12" idmax. i have not seen very many negitive remarks about the idmax any where on the net, but i still would like to hear one before i buy one. any advice

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic