icon

alarm rookie triggers, 2nd accessory?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wjbarton 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guys, I installed my first alarm this weekend, on my 2002 F150 Supercab, 5.4L. The alarm is the 1-way viper 560xv with remote start.
I got the alarm installed for the most part, and remote start is working ok. There are two things I haven't been able to figure out:
1. Door triggers
I've picked up some 1N4001 diodes and am ready to solder them in for the three door trigger wires, but the problem is I can't find the wires. I know it's supposed to be BLACK / YELLOW, BLACK/ pink and BLACK/ light blue - I did find BLACK/ pink in the same harness as the lock/unlock wires, but when I connected that to my viper, the alarm wasn't triggered when opening any of the doors. Basically, can anyone give me detailed a step by step on how to properly work with the door triggers on this truck when installing an alarm? I need steps, locations, anything that might help.
2. 2nd Accessory Wire
My Viper alarm only has one accessory wire, and my truck has two at the ignition - I'd like to power the second one up too - it starts the radio (no biggee), but more importantly I think that's why my a/c doesn't get cold when remote started. What's the best way to get that 2nd accessory powered at start? I read about relays - if that's the answer, where do I get a relay, what kind do I get, and how do I wire it?
Thanks for any help - much respect to alarm installers - took me all weekend, and I'm still not done.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
The way I read this ..... it sounds like your not testing your connections. The door pins are not in the same location as the locks. At least in the Astrochart.

If you have a digital multimeter, use it, if you don't, borrow one. Your door pins will show 12v when the doors are closed, and go to ground when opened.

You should only need to connect to the 2 front doors, as the 1 rear door cannot be opened unles the FRONT is opened first. You will need a total of 4 diodes (2 for each door pin wire)

On each trigger wire cut it, and "in line" place a diode... with the line AWAY from the BCM. Then on your Viper, put a Y at the end of the negative door trigger wire.

Put a diode on each 1/2 of the Y, with the line AWAY from the viper. These need to be connected on the PAST the diodes AWAY from the BCM on the door pin wires.

Someone here has a digram, I don't sorry.

As far as your 2nd accs. There should be on your unit a negative output labled accs. This is a low amperage output used to trigger a relay set up to throw 12V.

Here is the relay configuration. 87 12v fused at 30 amps. 85 the same 12 V as 87. 85 is the negative trigger from your viper.  30 goes to the trucks 2nd accs.

I hope this helps 

wjbarton 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for that - I can't find my voltmeter, searched all over for it - I think it never came back from being loaned.  I have wiring diagrams so I figured I'd give it a shot before seeing if I had to buy another one.

Bad note on those wiring diagrams - the two I have (bulldog, some other place) list the driver's door trigger as BLACK / YELLOW and I could't find that, when in fact another source just let me know it's yellow/black, which I do remember seeing with the other two.  The diagram with the yellow/black report is also from bulldog, just for the same truck but found in a different spot on their site - go figure.  So yep, having that voltmeter would've helped.

I'm off to Radio Shack to get a couple more diodes and see if they have the relay.  I'll let you know how it goes, might not be able to continue the install until tomorrow night.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Wiring diagrammes are great BUT only as a general guide, you must check BEFORE installing and possibly doing expensive damage. Take a feed off first acc, take it 86, take 85 to ground, 87 gets a fused (30amp) permanent feed and 30 feeds to your second acc.
wjbarton 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

No luck on the door triggers yet - I'll wait on that until I find my / get a new multimeter.  I tried using diodes on the wires I thought for sure were the right ones, with no luck.

Now on to the remote start - I added the relay, works great... BUT... no a/c compressor.  The radio now comes on, but no compressor.  I tried swapping the two accessory wires (switched the one that was on the relay to the direct remote start acc wire, and vice versa), with exactly the same results - everything comes on and the car starts fine, but no a/c compressor.  As soon as I turn the key in the ignition to On, I feel cold air - when I turn the key off and take it out, everything else stays on but no more compressor (until I press the brake or trigger any other remote start shutoff of course).

I'm confident I'll get the door triggers going, but I'm a little lost on the compressor - continued help is appreciated

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  
grey / YELLOW    RED / black    BLACK/ green   ALL potential accs.
wjbarton 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  

KarTuneMan wrote:
grey / YELLOW    RED / black    BLACK/ green   ALL potential accs.

Yep, here's what I have:

• GRAY / YELLOW ACCESSORY 1 is hooked to Viper ORANGE ACCESSORY
  • BLACK/ GREEN ACCESSORY 2 is hooked to relay on 30 (Viper high gauge ORANGE from the "add-on" 4-pin Viper satellite relay plug is on 85; 86 and 87 are on fused power from Vehicle Yellow)
  • RED / BLACK is hooked to Viper PINK/WHITE IGNITION 2

I've swapped the GRAY / YELLOW and BLACK/ GREEN with no difference seen.

Maybe the Viper PINK/WHITE Ignition 2 should be programmed as an "accessory 2" instead of "ignition 2"?

wjbarton 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

Looks like programming the Viper to use the Viper PINK/GREEN as a 2nd accessory instead of the default 2nd ignition worked - I have cold A/C now, tested it quickly before heading out this morning.  Haven't tested that the alternator's working yet though, but good news - a co-worker just coincidentally dropped off an ac/dc digital multimeter that he randomly found around his house, gave it to me out of the blue, not knowing that I even needed one - sometimes good luck does come around...

What's the best way to test that the alternator's working during remote starts, with a multimeter?  I know i could go the old school route and bypass my hood switch and then just pull the negative off the car battery while it's remote started, but would like to use the multimeter instead, just don't know what to test.

Still need help on those door triggers - now that I'm not so confident about the wiring diagrams I have for my truck, and now that I have a multimeter, I'll get to probing tonight or tomorrow.  Where should I start looking though for the door pin wires?  Getting behind the door latch is near impossible... thanks!

wjbarton 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
typo: Viper PINK/GREEN above is Viper PINK/WHITE
wjbarton 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
Hooked up my green negative door trigger wire from my Viper to the pink /light green stripe wire in my headlight switch, no more door trigger problems, so that is finally the full install, thanks for all the help!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic