icon

no power to the amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatboybuick 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all I'm having a problem of course.  I just installed my kenwood kvt-817dvd player, and I have old school rockford fosgate 600 x 4 to run the highs and hifonics 1206 mono block running my four sony xplode 12's, I installed this about two weeks ago, and love the setup.  So this is the problem, today I'm driving along and my sound just completely cuts out, but the deck is on fine and playing.   I check the 200amp blade fuse under the hood that's good, then I check the fuses in the distribution block and they're fine too.  But I'm not getting either one of the amps to light up.  So I took my test light and checked both poles of the fuse under the hood, and it lights up bright, but when I check the poles on the distribution block it lights up, but it's dim.  My question is, is the distribution block my problem?  I also noticed that when I initially start the car my hifonics amp has these blue leds on top for which they light up for a little while, but then they dim out, and the green power light does not come on at all.  I also check the grounds at the amp, that are fine, and the remote wire is also hooked up, fine.   Any info would be greatly appreciated.  thanks George
fatboybuick
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

Touch the test light to the actual wire going into the distribution block.  If it is bright there and not bright on the fuses of the distribution block, then your distribution block is bad.  It probably has a loose screw on the bottom of it.

If the light is dim when touching the actual wire, you need to go back under the hood and touch it to the wire coming out of the fuse holder.  The wire itself  not the fuse holder.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
If you use glass AGU fuses in your distro block, those are known to go bad, while they still visually look good and pass a minor amount of current just to get a voltage reading.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
Alpine Guy wrote:
If you use glass AGU fuses in your distro block, those are known to go bad, while they still visually look good and pass a minor amount of current just to get a voltage reading.
True dat, I've seen it myself, but all of them at once? I think something else is happening. MORE likely a bad distro, as previously suggested. (I've seen THAT happen, too! no power to the amps -- posted image. )
Have you checked the remote lead? Is it still hot at the amplifier end? You did say it was "hooked up", but have you actually confirmed there is voltage there? After the main fuse, this is where I will alway look.
Have you updated all of your underhood wiring (the big three), and/or have you confirmed all of the OEM grounds?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic