icon

amp, not working after swap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Just recently attempted to put a different amp into a friends car to test to see  how the amp worked. Took the wiring from the existing amp and hooked it into the other amp. The amp was apparently blown as it did not turn on or show any signs of life. Not a big deal. However when i attempted to re-install the friends amp that had worked in the car before installing the busted amp, we hooked all of the wiring up turned on the car with the volume at zero and  the subwoofer went crazy. we shut off the car and wired and re-wired the amp making sure we did not pinch any wiring somewhere. I am new to installing and am at a loss as to what to do, one of my friends told me to check the ground wire. Any ideas?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  
Your friend has a Pioneer radio. You did not follow the first rule of car audio installation, which is disconnecting the battery of the vehicle before performing any work on the stereo system.   Sometime during the amp swap there was power and RCA connected to an amp before ground was connected to it. When the power wire is connected to the amp it starts looking for a ground, an amp does not care where it gets ground, it is looking for the first available. The RCA jack of your radio is a ground. Well, it was until the amp found it. The amp pulls plenty of current and takes a large power and ground wire. The RCA cable and the ground path of that cable inside the radio, not so much a big wire or big traces (in your case a tiny surface mount fuse) inside his radio. Hope you are still reading this. I know it is long but here is the help you were looking for. Since I do not know what model Pioneer radio he has, I can not tell you exactly where the fuse is located. So the following is a generic fix for your problem.
http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

I dont believe i ever connected the only the power wire and the rca's without the ground wire attatched to the amplifier if thats what you are suggesting. I know you probably have more experience in this field than me but is there anything else that could be wrong? If not is there a simpler fix than what is shown in your link? like using a different set of pre-outs on the back of the head unit?

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
The only other thing that could have caused this, would be the power wire of the amp touching the shield of the RCA cable.  If you are looking for a simpler fix, you could just strip back a few inches of wire and wrap it around the shield of the RCA cable, then ground the other end of it.  I don't know how long it will work for you, but without the solder I guess that it will be simpler.
94baldwin 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

the head is a pioneer 4900ib

djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
can you tell me where i could find the fuses and the holder that are shown in the picture . is that something the a best buy or circuit city would carry or should i go to like an autozone?
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Any small fuse holder will work. Autozone, RadioShack, PepBoys. doesn't really matter.
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
okay thanks for the help i'll give it a try
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
To make it simpler yet, you only need 1 fuse holder and you only have to do one RCA cable. Left or right, it doesn't matter which one you do.
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
even better
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic