icon

Kicker Amp Going Into Protective Mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gqqse13 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

i have been talking with a tech from kicker about my amp shutting off when the volume gets to a certain point or the bass gets too low. ( i am running 2-10"kicker comp VR in seal box(dual 2-ohm), A ZX750.1 amp-power certificate rated 932 watts, and is running with an extra power cell). i checked and made sure i had them wired in a series as was suggested, and have messed with the EQ settings on the HU, messed with the gain, and amp remote never goes past the 1/2 way point as it will shut off if i go past on some tracks.

any suggestions???

thanks,

-Chris

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2008 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

Several things can cause this, including

1) impedance load too low.  You say you have the speakers wired in series?  All 4-voice coils are in series?

2) gain too high.  How did you set it?  What is this "amp remote"?
3) Vehicle system voltage too low.  Have you measured the voltage at the amp when the system goes into protection?  You may need to install a HO alternator and upgrade the Big-3.
4) Defect in the system, either in the amp or the speakers.  Are you certain the speakers are not shorting out?  How new is the amp?

Support the12volt.com
gqqse13 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Several things can cause this, including

1) impedance load too low.  You say you have the speakers wired in series?  All 4-voice coils are in series?

2) gain too high.  How did you set it?  What is this "amp remote"?
3) Vehicle system voltage too low.  Have you measured the voltage at the amp when the system goes into protection?  You may need to install a HO alternator and upgrade the Big-3.
4) Defect in the system, either in the amp or the speakers.  Are you certain the speakers are not shorting out?  How new is the amp?

1) yes they are

2) it might be that as i turned it down and haven't had problem since except extremely low bass. the "amp remote" is the control that goes from the amp up to the "remote" that allows you to adjust the amount of power going to the subs with out having to mess with gain or the HU settings
3)no i haven't, alternator should be good, haven't done the big 3 yet
4) and yep because when tuning i watch it and when the speakers cut is when the red light comes on the amp which means its going into protective mode. its new as of january when i bought it from sonicelectrnix.com

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
If I had to guess, you have the 2 voice coils of each woofer wired in series, and then you paralleled those 2 wires at the amp.  This would yield a 2 ohm load.   This should be an acceptable load for this amp.  You really need to check the voltage on the amp when it is almost to the point of cutting out.
gqqse13 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
turns out it was a combination of a bad fuse and a bad connection to the battery (not tight enough)  works just fine now and a lot louder :)
capsisking 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
i was gonna go with a bad ground but that works too

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic