icon

power distribution

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mylar 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2008 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
I've recently started having problems with my batteries. I have 2 Kx1200.1 kicker amplifires powering 2 12" Kicker solobaric L7s... theres and 12 farrad cap powering both amplifires... I had 2 optima yellow tops in my car but I wore one of them out... and now I bought an optima red top to start my car and was thinkin about gettin a Blue top to power my stereo... The guy at the stereo shop said all I need is a battery isolator relay.... this allows my primary starting battery to be isolated when the car is off, to insure its starting capability... but I know different batteries have different ammounts of resistence and the alternator is more likely to charge the one with the most restistence... What do I need to make sure both batteries are charging equally off the alternator??
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2008 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

mylar wrote:
but I know different batteries have different ammounts of resistence and the alternator is more likely to charge the one with the most restistence... What do I need to make sure both batteries are charging equally off the alternator??

You answered your own question.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
12 FARRAD (sic) cap? I'd like to see one!
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  
I've run different batery isolators over the years with no problems except the size of the unit. Then I found nice little relays from Stinger that are easier to mount.
If you're that worried about the charging condition of your batteries then add some voltage meters to your system. The last time I ran multiple batteries I was going to get a pod for the a-frame and install them. I sold the car before I got around to it though.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic