icon

alternative starter kill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
speedy71 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
i am going to make a motorcycle purchase and was wondering about security. is there a proximity chip started kill like the new cars have? something that has to be present within a few feet in order for the starter relay to engage. just would like something different so that i may hide it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
you can get an autopage bike alarm, and get a prox sensor. WIring starter kills would be the best best. your tthinking of a RFID transponder system which is hard to do in bike and car applications.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

From my understanding starter kills don't help much with bikes, because they can be somewhat easily lifted in to box trucks.

To that point, an RFID system won't help either.  Have you looked in to Lojack?

Kevin Pierson
speedy71 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
 thank you for your replys but i think my request was a little vague. what i am looking for is something that might have a chip( maybe in a keyfog, like the new nissans) that when it is close will allow the bike to start. kind of like the old style magnetic chip you had to put next a special spot in your car to start it.  i know it sounds weird.. but on the nissans that i have seen it on, it is a great deterant.
speedy71 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
just found this  article: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/audio/articles/106651/article.html.  this is basicly what i am looking for. mind you not as advanced as merecedes but within that realm of security,
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

maybe a prox and tilt sensor. but kpierson does have a point. It can be lifted away.

what your are reading is basically an RFID chip (immobilizer) but to incorporate a custom system for your bike is NOT the easiest thing to do.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2008 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to agree with what's being said in regards to the effectiveness of an RFID start system as well.
The only real way to deal with someone who's physically removed your bike with another vehicle is Lojack or some other GPS tracking device.
If your objective is to stop some jagoff who takes your keys off of the bar from joyriding, a passive starter kill relay and a hidden toggle switch will be sufficient, and much cheaper and easier to install.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Starter kill on a motorcycle is useless. Even a Gold Wing with a dry weight of over 800 pounds can easily be push started.
theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

I actually just had this conversation with a friend of mine, and ended up in about the same area. To which we came to - Is there such a thing as a "fuel pump kill"?

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2008 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Fuel kill's not a standard part of most alarm systems - but that may actually not be a bad idea, assuming the bike in question here is carbureted.
Generally I shy away from installing a relay to interrupt an electric fuel pump, because if it malfunctioned it would quickly strand the car, and on a motor cycle it could be downright dangerous(I don't ride myself but I can imagine you might lose control if the fuel was suddenly cut off and the bike stalled).
If your bike is carbureted however, it would be fairly easy to install an electrically actuated blocking valve in the fuel line...granted it'd still run for a few seconds until the fuel bowl is emptied, but that wouldn't get you far.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic