icon

Running 20 6x9s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrxzuberant 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
first off... juz like thank you guyz for the quick response on my last post about the 8 12's.....much props...ive got another question though....ive got (20) kicker 69ds 6x9 coaxial speakers....single 4 ohm....bout 90 watts rms a piece....i was just wondering what type of amps and how many would anyone recomend....my main purpose is have a concert effect in my truck....i want to be able to play it loud for long periods of time without the amps shutting down or over heating......i was thinkin (5) 2 ch. amplifiers bridged.....any help,thoughts,comments would be much appreciated....thnx in advance
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
With 20 6 x 9's you don't need near 90 watts per speaker to get loud.
Even with 20 clean watts to each it would be really really loud.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

One watt to each would be really, really loud.  But the thing is, when you're contemplating the use of multiple woofers:  each one of them needs to have a solid, sealed and sizeable cavity of airspace.  You need to take a good hard look at the truck in question and find out how much it can provide for these woofers...then take it from there.

A typical door cavity provides ~ 2 cu ft of airspace, doesn't it?  And it usually houses just one midwoofer.

But as DYohn and others have said many times on this forum, it doesn't matter how many woofers you connect to an amplifier...it's the final impedance when they're all wired together that puts a load on the amplifier and makes it go to work.  Use the series and parallel calculators provided here on this site and go to town.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ya boy mike 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

If your are thinkin (5) 2 channels then you would be running each one at 2 ohms. While that is fine with most quality 2 channel amps playing them all day long while running a lot of power through them will still get tem pretty hot. And with that many amps I'm quessing they will be stacked or something of the like, which would restrict air flow thus furthering heating of the amps.

Like the other guys have siad I think you need to really thinnk about this and decide if you absoluelty need 20 speakers. If you think you do, or are just going for a wow factor then draw it out and see what you can do right, as in enough airspace and cooling for amps etc.

It Hz
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
A 4 ohm load on the amps would still give plenty of power...amp would run cooler and more efficient. Less amp draw. With that much cone area you don't really need much power
mrxzuberant 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2008 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
ok as for the the space availble in my truck...everything is built and mounted....ive got 8 subs in 4 dual chamber ported boxes(bout 2.6 cu/ft each.) sealed off in a wall in the ex cab.....(4) 6x9s above the subs....(6) where the middle console was...and (5) on each door!!! = 20!!! (4) optimas in the bed - (2) under hood.......Subz = (8) 12" kicker cvrs.......Amps = used to be 1 now (2) kicker 2500.1zx......Speakers = (20) Kicker 69ds 6x9s.........as you can see im a real kicker fanatic but as their 4 channels....dont like them at all...real bad experiences.....soo im still debating on amps for the highs.....i was thinkin like maybe (1) 800watt(max not rms) 2 chan per (4) 6x9s or sumthing around that......wat do u think....
wishuponansg 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
definatly make sure to post some pics when your completely finished this, i'd be very interested to see your work. she sounds like a beast!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

mrxzuberant, why are you doing this?  Just to look impressive?

Whatever floats yer boat I suppose...

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

I think it is starting to look like a train wreck if you ask me, but hey, it's your train wreck and you have it how you like.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bkoepp2 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, I've never even heard of someone attempting this!
I'm going to say you're full of crap about this install until you post pics. I refuse to believe this until I see it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic