icon

1999 chevy tahoe audio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
briancobabe 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

I put a new deck in my 99 Tahoe. When testing it, I'm only getting sound out of 4 of the 6 speakers in my truck, the two in the front doors, and the two in the very back of the cab (not the two in the back passenger doors).  I know that it's a simple wiring problem, but I am having the hardest time finding a wiring schematic that shows the wiring colors for all 6 speakers! I want the 4 speakers in the doors to work, and not the 4x10's in the very back of the truck. I tested using a low volt battery the leads, to find which speakers go to which wires, I get a popping sound in the front two, and the two in the very back, but still cannot figure out what the wires are, running to the door speakers!

If anyone can be of assistance, I would *greatly* appreaciate it. I don't know what else to do. There's only 2 wires that aren't tapped into coming from the dash harness (which doesn't make sense, since two speakers aren't sounding and they each take two wires) so I really just don't know what to do from here.

Thanks again!

-Brian

chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

brown + yellow -  LR  dark blue + light blue -  RR   what wires have you tagged?

you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

I had the same problem in my '97, but at the time I had an eclipse dealer installing my deck and they fixed it for me. I can pull the radio if you like and see which wires are taped as long as the colors havent changed any.

what make and model wiring harness did you buy???

...don't crush the weasel...
briancobabe 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

It's the Metra wiring harness, I got it off eBay.

METRA 70-1858 1987-2005 GM CD RECEIVER WIRE HARNESS

tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
okay.... that's the same harness I've got. I'll try to find some time to pull the radio today to see which wires are tapped for ya.
...don't crush the weasel...
briancobabe 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

before you go pulling your head unit out, let me tell you I was able to find the problem, and fix it.

My 99 Tahoe apparently has a factory amp in it, to control the back four speakers (2 back door speakers, and the 2 4x10's in the rear).

If I'd known that, I would have been able to fix the problem the day I ran into it.

So for those out there with this type of problem, just know you need to tap a 12v hot wire to the factory amp. The factory amp comes into the console harness, and it's a pink color. So I tapped on the aftermarket harness the 'Power Antenna" line (blue in color, third from the top if you're looking at it from behind) the remote wire from the HU. Turned the car back on and VIOLA! It worked perfect and sounds AWESOME. I'll get some good JL components (or I may go JVC all around, since my HU is the Kameleon KD-AVX49 JVC).  Two 12 W7's and I'm going to be set.

Thank you both so much for your assistance. I do appreciate it.

briancobabe 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
oh and PS ... always check to see if you do have a factory amp installed. Whoever kept posting on a different thread that the factory amp is installed under the drivers seat is an idiot (unless they installed it differently in different models of the Tahoe). It's behind the dash.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic