how do you figure out how many batteries

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
may03lt 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all....
Is there a guide for determining how many batteries are needed for an audio system? Im in the planning stages of adding additional amplifiers and want to do it right if you know what Im saying!
tia
2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
One. The power does NOT come from the batteries. It comes from the alternator! If you "want to do it right", you'll address the source of all the power in a car FIRST!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Like stated above, you need an high output alternator, not more batteries. Batteries store power, alternators make power.
We need to know what car you have, how big the stock alternator is, and what are the fuse sizes on your amps.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
gotcha - im sorry i should have provided more details...how do you figure out how many batteries -- posted image.
Currently I have an Ohio alt/ single batt and around 3,000 watts rms and am not having any problems with the charging system. For regular daily use it holds up well. However Im planning on adding more then double the power and want to plan this install to the fullest before i cut the first board.
One more thing, Im limited to a single alt. The alt companies do not show love to the gm I6 4.2 for a dual alt setup.
2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  
what kind of car is this? you can put a dual alt setup in almost any car. chances are you will have to take out your ac. for the cost of a dual alt set up for only a little more $$$$$$ you can just get a HO alt. you may have to find an alt thats not for a 4.2. exp my cars a 1984 caddy elderado fwd t 4100 motor. but this car also was made to take a 5.7 motor. so i have room to play with. at this time im looking into getting a truck alt. some of these are in the 160-180 amp range. for my current system this will be fine. im only running 12-1300 watts. then again it helps my dads a grease monkey of 34yrs. 
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
I'm assuming they have either a Trailblazer, Envoy, or Rainier.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
  please dont get a second battery, get the biggest alternator you can find and upgrade the big 3 .
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
actually after upgrading the alternator it is fine to add another battery...reserve power is nice. The alt is big enough to handle the extra load so it isn't a problem.
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2008 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
daboss593 wrote:
what kind of car is this? you can put a dual alt setup in almost any car. chances are you will have to take out your ac. for the cost of a dual alt set up for only a little more $$$$$$ you can just get a HO alt. you may have to find an alt thats not for a 4.2. exp my cars a 1984 caddy elderado fwd t 4100 motor. but this car also was made to take a 5.7 motor. so i have room to play with. at this time im looking into getting a truck alt. some of these are in the 160-180 amp range. for my current system this will be fine. im only running 12-1300 watts. then again it helps my dads a grease monkey of 34yrs.
Im running a 260 it holds up fine.....im not willing to lose a/c either......there is a nice place for one next to the factory one, but the fuel line is in the way
jmelton86 wrote:
I'm assuming they have either a Trailblazer, Envoy, or Rainier.
Ding Ding Ding, 4.2 Trailblazer with the transverse alt! Sorry theres no prize
boogeyman wrote:
   please dont get a second battery, get the biggest alternator you can find and upgrade the big 3 .
Alt - check, big 3 check (1/0), like i said no probs now just looking down the road
aznboi3644 wrote:
actually after upgrading the alternator it is fine to add another battery...reserve power is nice. The alt is big enough to handle the extra load so it isn't a problem.
is there any guide for how much reserve to have?
btw good to hear from you (you've helped me before)how do you figure out how many batteries -- posted image.
2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2008 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
So if Im basically adding a reserve, i can add as many as I want in the space provided?
2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic