icon

how do you tie on your shock sensor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtearitupx 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
I've searched through the hundreds of topics about shock sensors but have yet to find an answer.
I know how to wire up the shock sensor, but how do you guys tie it on to a harness for mounting it? For example do you use electrical tape to tape the wires of the shock sensors to a harness, or do you wrap elec tape around the shock sensor itself to the harness? What brings you better results?
Thanks in advance for response, and to re iterate I know how to wire the sensor up the alarm, just asking for advice on how to mount it to a wire harness behind the dash.
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
I always tape the wires all the way and then wire tie to the main harness of the car thats way you get better results .
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
I use a 14" wire tie to tie it to a main harness under the dash. Pull the tie wrap tight.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ideally wire tie the sesnsor to either the steering column or a central steel dash brace. You can also put a piece of 2 way tape between the sensor and the piece you are securing it to. If an alarm is to work correctly in the long term, you need to attach the sensor to an item that will never move. If the vehicle required servicing, the wire harness's may be moved and this will alter the sensor's sensitvity settings. Wire harness's also get stiffer in cold which too changes the way a sensor reacts. If at all possible mount a sensor in an area that will best cover the entire vehicle evenly and will be out of harms way.
sparky
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
It depends on the manufacturer's recommendations for the sensor. I did a few way back - I think they were Alpine - where they recommended the sensor be screwed into a dash brace or other stiff metal.
DEI and Scytek usually recommend mounting to a wire harness - a plastic cable tie will work for them.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
yeap i usually use double side tape and use rip ties.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not very good at shock sensors, but:
--Holding it in place with tape isn't a good idea, because the tape will stretch over time and the sensor would probably fall.
--Especially if the sensor is mounted anywhere near the driver's feet, try to use two zip ties. This way, if one tie fails (they do go bad sometimes), the sensor won't fall on your feet.
--Bundle up the extra slack on the wire somewhere close to the sensor. This way, if you have to relocate the sensor later, you don't have to take your whole install apart again.
--Also, try to put the sensor somewhere so that you can readjust it easily.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic