icon

big hole in sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hoppinlowrider 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
ok so i got a kicker L5 and it has a hole right in the middle about the size of the solobaric logo(looks like pic below). I want to fix because it still works. I was thinking of using some fiberglass cloth and resin on the cone. the only problem is that i dont know what effect the resin would have on the cone. Any suggestions for fixin this?
Thanks
big hole in sub -- posted image.
bkoepp2 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2008 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
Fiberglass and resin might be too heavy. You'd ideally like to match the weight of the missing section because the spider and motor could reproduce tones incorrectly if the cone weighs more than a typical sub.
You may also consider a recone (I don't know if Kicker does this $$$).
The rule of thumb is that slightly dented cones make no difference, so getting the exact shape may not be an issue.
If it was me, I'd either do a tiny fiberglass job, or find a concave plastic piece and cut it down to the smallest size, then either gorilla or hot glue it into place with a continuous circle of glue (to keep it air tight).
The bottom line is that if you're happy with the sound, it's fixed!
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
How about taking it to a repair shop and asking them to put a dust cap over it? They are sure to have the correct type of glue and a dust cap that will fit. Should be pretty cheap too.
-Justin
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 6:13 AM / IP Logged  
ive been told to use a bike tire flat kit it wont be pretty but the rubber will flex and should hold.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
adding some weight to the sub won't make noticeably slower or at all...maybe lower the fs slightly but nothing crazy.
It will stil play fine. Won't "reproduce notes incorrectly" haha
bkoepp2 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I like the idea of putting a dustcap over it, that would be pretty simple and if a local place does it (assuming there is one), it should be a solid cone.
I'm not sure about "haha" as far as weight goes. The cone mass is calculated to work with the spider and motor.
aznboi3644 
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
you should read this
bkoepp2 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
This is why I rarely post on threads, there's always someone trying to up their post count and turn things into a debate...
There will be a mechanical difference between a 10g cone and a 1kg cone. I don't know at what point cone mass becomes an issue (maybe it doesn't in this case), but will does at some point...that's all I'm sayin.
bkoepp2 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
but will does at some point. I mean "it will at some point" LOL.
aznboi3644 
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
If you put 1kg of fiberglass and resin on the cone you must be retarded.
I'm not trying to up my post count. I'm trying to tell the O.P. that there will be no audible difference between some fiberglass on the hole or some duct tape unlike what you previously said. What you said was incorrect.
I guess some people just can't accept that they are wrong sometimes.
Anyways to the O.P. don't worry about the weight of whatever you use to patch the hole. I'd get an old dust cap and trim it to fit. Unless you somehow add a lot of weight to the cone (if you did than you're doing it all wrong lol) than you will be fine and won't hear a difference at all.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic