icon

rear view camera? 2006 h3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cruzj35 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2008 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

I am installing a rearview camera I purchased on ebay (that i haven't recieved yet)to my 2006 H3.  My question is about wiring the camera so it will power up when I am in reverse.  

I know that the reverse light is "light green" in color and can be easily accessed on the driver side kicker and also in the tail lights.  The instructions for the install from the ebay site is as follows:

Easy to Install. It is easy to install the camera.  Just plug RCA Video Jack onto your car monitor, and connect 12volt (Red wire) and Ground (Black) to the power. That's it. Do-it-Yourself.

My understanding from the instructions is that the 12volt red wire and the ground black wire both splice into the light green reverse light wire. My first question is doesn't the ground wire just connect to a bolt on the frame?

My second question is about the head unit I am using with the camera.  It is an Pioneer avh p5700.  Below is part of the install instructions for use with a rearview camera.  The question is do I clamp the violet/white extension lead to the light green wire?

My last question is if I want the choice of having the rearview camera powered on at all times (while the car is running) and not just when it's in reverse, what would I connect the red 12volt wire to in order to accomplish this.

To recap my questions:

1.  What do I connect the black ground wire from the camera to?

2.  What wire do I clamp the extension lead from the head unit to?

3.  If I want to view the rear view cam while driving and not just in reverse, how do I go about wiring it in order to accomplish it?

Thanks in advance for anybody's help!

rear view camera? 2006 h3 -- posted image.

Thanks
Jomar
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
Ground wire goes to ground, nothing else. Find a bolt or use a srew to acheive this. The red wire should go to an accessory wire to allow the camera to stay on whenever the key is on. Sme AVIC's have a camera setting to allow this. You can use orange or brown off the ignition switch for this. The purple white is the wire that should go to the light green in the drivers kickpanel.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
cruzj35 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2008 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Mike... The avh p5700 has that option to allow you to view the rearview camera when the key is on.
If the red wire is connected to the accessory, would this mean the camera has power running to it all the time and is actually on all the time even if you aren't viewing it. Just curious cause I would like to know if that would be good for the life of the camera?
Is there a way to add a switch so that I have the option of turning power to the camera on/off and at the same time still have it go on everytime I go in reverse regardless of ... that way the camera isn't needless on when I don't actually want it?
And lastly, I have a cigarette lighter in the back of the vehicle, would I just be able to connect the red to the wiring there?
Thanks
Jomar

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic