icon

factory fob trunk pop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mr beta 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
I searched and didn't find an answer to what I was looking for so here goes.
I want to install a trunk solenoid to pop my trunk open but want to use the factory fob to control it. I drive an 05 Corolla and my fob has 3 buttons. Lock, unlock, and the panic horn button.
I guess my question is how difficult would it be to use that panic button to pop the trunk. I don't need the panic option on my remote so I could just cut those leads. Is it possible to just override the panic option and use the signal to activate the solenoid using the panic leads?
Any ideas?
Appreciate it.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
You can't use panic for that. You would need a channel creator to make an additional channel off your factory system.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
mr beta 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2008 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, okay. Channel creator. Time for research. Any favorite suppliers or sources?
techman93 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2008 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Peripheral makes one so do a web search for the name and channel creator and it should pull up some places that sell them.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
mr beta 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Very cool, thank you sir. The units I've found don't come with instructions. Is it easy to wire them or am I just missing everything.
techman93 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2008 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
They should have or how will you know how to wire it up. I would do a product manual search. What was the brand and model of the unit you found?
mr beta 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
I'll have to recheck. There might be a manual in the box but usually they show copies of them online. I didn't check extremely hard though.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have any interest in adding an alarm too?
Because you could get an alarm that works off the factory remote, and most of those give you an extra output as well.
For example, the Audiovox Pursuit PRO-9233 (or the older PRO-9232a, or PRO-9232) have an output where, you just press "Lock, Unlock, Lock" on the factory remote, and the wire puts out a pulse.
Also, unless you're really enamored with the remote you have, it wouldn't cost much just to get an aftermarket keyless entry with a trunk release output.
mr beta 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2008 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

No, I'm not attached to my factory alarm at all but I thought it might be easier to just wire in an extra solenoid. I haven't done much research on installing an aftermarket alarm so that's why I opted for an add-on. It sounds like it'd be a better choice to add an alarm.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to install a decent aftermarket alarm, right?

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
actaully, alarms are very basic and straight forward. If you have some knowlege about a DMM (digital multi meter) then you should be set. having wiring diagrams and the12volt, anything can be done.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic