icon

alarm, false signals from spliced sensors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eckoinlasvegas 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I have read up on here and my alarms website that installing more than 1 sensor while splicing them together may and will result in getting false signals from the alarm.
What is happening is...
My alarm was randomly going off for no reason. I thought my Shock Sensor was malfunctioning, so I had them install a radar sensor as well. Now the alarm goes off 3 times more often and all the time!
I then found out that the two sensors will send false signals to one another triggering the alarm. I ran a test an unplugged my Radar Sensor and so far my alarm has not gone off (2 hours so far).
I have not yet tested my shock sensor to see if it is working since the sensitivity was also turned down. Regardless I know I need to install Diodes in my alarm sensors wiring. Now my questions is:
Which wires do I install diodes on? Do these sensors receive false signals from the positive or negative wire. My Radar Sensor has 3 wires, what do I do then? I just want to make sure my alarm is working properly since I have had to take ti in 3 times since the install and they still dont have it right.
If I need to supply pictures or anything else I can. Thanx for all the help guys!
BTW: I did search and most of the threads were not relating to my Q's or were locked and I could not post.
eckoinlasvegas 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I have been searching more and obviously I need to isolate my sensors from one another. But I am also an alarm noob big time and I am confused.
Should I install both pos+ and neg- diodes? Is only one needed? Where do I place them and in which direction is the flow on my sensors? I have being a noob! :(
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. Some sensors have 3 wires and others have 4. The 4 wire sensors are dual stage, meaning that 1 wire is for a pre warn and the other is for full alarm. All sensors will have a red and black wire. Those are for your power and ground. On the 3 wire sensors, you will have a blue wire. Thats the full alarm. On 4 wire sensors, there will be that wire (blue) and another color usually white (which is your warn away). The only wire(s) that need to be dioder isolated are the tigger wires. For instane, If you are running 4 sensors to 1 sensor input on an alarm, each sensor's trigger wires would need to have its own diode. Understand?
noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and you want each band facing the sensor. This is only true for negative wires. For positive wires, it would be the other way. ALL trigger wires are negative though.
eckoinlasvegas 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
I beleive mine is a 3 wire (wish it had a warning wire). So I only need to place a diode on the signal wire with the diode band facing the sensor, not facing the alarm ECU (brain)?
noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
That is correct. You use 1 diode for each sensor's trigger wire if you have more than 1 sensor. Im going to have 2 shock sensors and a tilt sensor. Since I only have 1 sensor input, I will need 3 diodes. I think the reason why you are having false alarms is because you have the radar sensor adjusted too sensitive. I have heard that you really dont need to use diodes as long as the alarm brain has only 1 sensor input. In this case, the brain cant tell which sensor is actually triggering the alarm. In my case, no matter if its the shock sensor or the tilt sensor setting off the alarm, when I go to check what actually set off my alarm (door being opened, trunk being opened, or shock sensor going off) It will show that my shock sensor input was actually what triggered my alarm. So I would know that is was either one of my shock sensors OR my tilt sensor. But I would play it safe and use diodes, since they are a few cents and very easy to install.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
Any one thought of simply correctly adjusting each sensor first?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
howie does have a point...
eckoinlasvegas 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

I unplugged my radar sensor and the alarm worked for the whole weekend flawlessly. I tested my shock sensor and it works. Its actually too low now, i have to bump it too hard to signal a warning.

Both radar and shock have dual warnings. One to warn and one to go off. My shock sensor will go off if hit hard enough or multiple times. My shock sensor will warn if outside and go off after multiple warnings outside. Inside radar sensor will go off automatically.

I was adjusting my radar sensor a lot. I had it set super low and it wouldnt sence me outside the car. No matter what setting my radar was set to, I would get a false alarm. I know its false because its in my garage, so theres nothing to set it off.

I figure at this point I will put diodes on every sensor wire sending a signal. so 1 diode per wire plus I do the positive and negative or only the signal wires? so either 4 or 8 diodes?

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
Does your garage have metal reinforcement or cladding roof etc. or beams? That's your answer, do it outside, also remember with prox detectors there is a 3-5 sec gap between sensing and acting also about 20sec settle time, so take your time when adjusting. Diodes are totally unneccessary.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic