icon

subwoofer check list

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
I've had problems with my Eclipse SW8200 subs and I did what you guys suggested and sent them to be repaired. As i'm waiting I just wanted to make sure that I had all the things right.
-Dual chamber, 1.44 cubic foot per chamber box.
-put these 4 ohms subs together to present a 2 ohm load on my Kicker 1500 watt amp and I've got a wattage of about 1500 watts to split between my subs.
-Anything else I could check..?
Just want to make sure before I screw up again.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
  • These are SVC 4 ohm subs, I take it? 
  • Is the box vented or sealed? 
  • Did you figure out what might have been done wrong in the first setup to cause the sub to "pop"? 
  • If the box is vented, is the tuning freq at a point where you should use a subsonic filter?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
  • Yes, SVC.
  • Sealed.
  • I was told by the Eclipse Tech that the subs were "bottomed out", and I returned them for repair under warranty.
  • It is sealed, but where should I set my subsonic filter if its sealed?
Sasquatch...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

Don't use a subsonic filter if the box is sealed.

Hope the sub comes back sparkly and shiny and plays like the other one.  But you posted "Just want to make sure before I screw up again."  That's the part I'm not getting;  it's as if you know you did something wrong...or believe you did something wrong.  Any ideas?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Well I think I made my box a little too big. And I know that sub is made for some excursion but that thing was moving pretty good.
I put some two by fours in there cut the right size, glued them down to take up space, and I came out with measurements about 1.44 cubes per chamber (after the modifications to make it smaller). I really don't see anything else I could do wrong besides over powering/not hooking it up right but I'm pretty positive about that...
I have them both hooked up to a Kicker ZX? 1500 watt@2 ohms amp. Thats at the most about 80 watts over a piece, and when I put them in my gain was set maybe to 1/4 the way up, bass boost down and subsonic filter all the way down.
Sasquatch...
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
Have any more suggestions?
And I have a quick question. I have $450 of sonicelectrnix.com credit so I was thinking about getting maybe one JL W7 10" in a nice ported box instead of getting those Eclipses again. Would I have as much ouput as the two twelves? And could I get my amp to work? (750 watts rms @ 4 ohms, 1500 @ 2 ohms).
Or any other sub combo they have there that you or anyone else would like to suggest would be nice.
Thanks in advance.
Sasquatch...
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
getting a single 10 inch sub to have more output than two 12 inch subs is a lot harder. Basically like asking if one 10 is louder than four 10's. That is a BIG cone area and displacement difference.
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
I mean I'm not looking for SPL at all. Way more towards SQ. The thing is i have this $450 dollars worth of sonicelectrnix.com credit and I don't know if I should stick with the Eclipses.
I'm not looking for pounding but I want good solid-sounding bass. I'm just kind of scared the Eclipses will not be good seeing that the pair I ordered before were messed up.
Would you recommend any sub/subs for around $450 on sonicelectrnix.com that you or anyone else would prefer over the Ecipse SW8200's? I have that Kicker amp I listed above, so I have plenty of power to offer. Just want good solid sound. Nothing huge and I don't think I want a 15'.
Sasquatch...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic