icon

find me a good amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I'm looking for an amp for two 500w rms 4 ohm DVC subs.  Does anybody have any suggestions? 

Here's a couple I have been looking at:

1) US Amps XT-2000D

2) Two Eclipse XA1000

3) Diamond Audio D3 1000.1

4) Cadence TXA-1000D

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.  I have a price range of around $400 or so.  The US Amps is by far my favorite at the moment. 

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a 4-channel as well I would like to hear it.  Probably around 60w rms x 4 @ 4 ohms or around there.

P.S. - Please don't recommend the PDX series.  I know they are nice but I don't want to spend the $$$. 

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

I think the US is a better bet. It will run @ 1 ohm. Not tooooo sure about the others.

The PDX are nice, but for your sub configuration.... a misapplication. Total output @ 2 or 4 ohms..... not 1

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
US Amps has been having quality control issues lately from what I have been hearing, but when you get a good amp, they are great.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input...
I know the US Amps was going to probably be the best. I was just wondering if I forgot a good amp in my price range. I get a pretty good deal on the US amp compared to the other ones so it is hard to compare some with a similar price range.
Keep the input coming! I appreciate any suggestions.
trapt_spirit 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
have u looked into hifonics amps the 1208 or the 1608
dustysnakes 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
the xt2000 has had some quality control issues its one of my bigger sellers but they are still good amps and if you get it from a reputable dealer us has no problem just changing them out for a new one while under warrenty. the only advise i can give you is that the heat sink is on the bottom so dont mount it directly to the floor or anything and make sure you have plenty of voltage going to it they tend to go into protect if they drop below about 12.5
keep it greasy
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
The Alpine PDX1.1000 would run those two woofers perfectly safely. Wire them in series to 8 ohms each, then connect one woofer to each amp connector. 4 ohms. Done. 1000 watts RMS. EXCELLENT amp, with plenty of power on tap.
For the 4 channel, (it's a little more power than you are asking for...) the PDX4.100. Also a really nice amp, and it'll stack with the bigger one.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Lightning Audio has a new series of amp out (matter of fact I just ordered some). They should be built as good if not better than the Strike series that they replaced (that we had very few issues with and proved to be solid performers). They will provide the rated power that you are looking for. 1000w rms, 1 ohm, class D and it will retail for $300 CDN, chances are that you can pick them up well inside of the $ that you have budgeted for, leaving room for maybe a matching 4 channel amp to allow the other speakers to keep up with the overwhelming amount of bass that you are expecting....
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic