icon

subs vs amp rms watts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LqDFx 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

Will a RF P3001 mono amp rated at 300w @ 2 ohms work well with two RF P3D210 Dual voice coil subs rated at 100-300w RMS (150 ea).

How should I calc the rms rating that I would need for two subs with the amp I have?

Sony XAV-A1 HU, RF P4004 AMP, RF P3001 AMP, 2 RF 10" P1S410 Subs, LA S2.35.2 Dash Speakers, LA S2.525.2 Door Speakers, RF FRC3268 Rear Speakers
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
You'll NOT need to worry about too much power.  Get more power. (my opinion of course)
LqDFx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
more worried about too little power! If I am figuring right, I should be looking to get an amp that is at least 600w RMS for two of those subs. Really would like to keep the current RF in service though.
Sony XAV-A1 HU, RF P4004 AMP, RF P3001 AMP, 2 RF 10" P1S410 Subs, LA S2.35.2 Dash Speakers, LA S2.525.2 Door Speakers, RF FRC3268 Rear Speakers
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
The RMS power rating of a subwoofer indicates the max steady-state power that speaker can handle, not the minimum they require.  You can use any amp with any speaker, just set it up correctly.  There is no such thing as damaging a speaker from under-power (there are sticky threads about this) only from too high power or improper amplifier setup.  Your amp will work fine with your speakers, just be sure to set the gain properly.
Support the12volt.com
LqDFx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
The RMS power rating of a subwoofer indicates the max steady-state power that speaker can handle, not the minimum they require.  You can use any amp with any speaker, just set it up correctly.  There is no such thing as damaging a speaker from under-power (there are sticky threads about this) only from too high power or improper amplifier setup.  Your amp will work fine with your speakers, just be sure to set the gain properly.

I understand that, but it is a great point to bring up for anyone that reads this thread. I am more in the lines of asking, what is the optiminal range to be in for speakers to get the most out of them. As a general rule (with subs atleast), do I add the RMS of the total speakers/channel that I am using and should stay in that range? (ex; 2 subs x 300w rms = 600w RMS amp?)

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
For average everyday use, the difference between 300 watts and 600 watts into the same speaker or speakers is really insignificant.  You'll gain approximately +3db by doubling the power.  if you are competing, this is really huge.  To your ear however, it is only slightly louder.  Much more significant than raw amplifier power is the subwoofer enclosure and how it is installed in the vehicle.  A properly designed enclosure properly installed can add +10db to a system with the same amplifier.  Power is only one of many considerations.
Support the12volt.com
LqDFx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

The subs are going into the back of a mustang hatchback in a custom sealed enclosure. I will be sticking as close to the .5 cubes of air space as I can recommened by RF. I will by the speakers and test them with the current amp and see if I like the output. If not, I guess I by a new amp.

The only reason I am changing speakers is to try and squeze just a bit more room out of the trunk of the car. I am not competing, but I do know that I am 20db over my cousin who is using more power with bigger speakers!

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

If space is an issue, I would consider building one nice ported enclosure and only using one of your subs.

One 10" in a large, properly tuned (and built!!!), ported enclosure will yeild more output than two 10" subs in small sealed enclosures.

Plus, if you blow one sub you'll have an extra for backup!

***I have one 10" sub in a ported box tuned to 26.6Hz and it outperforms most people I knows' two 12's... in output AND sound quality.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
dustysnakes 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2008 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
all of the last three posts make really good points. i for example have a pathfinder i drive everyday (also have a hearse im building diffrent topic all together) anyway i run a single cerwin vega vmax 15 in a custom ported box tuned to 27.4hz. its being pushed by a tma 150. thats on a 600 watt (supposedly) sub. that amp going by ohms law is less than 100 watts. but im still pushing enough spl that ive won two db drags down here with it. the point is do some research on the setup first then worry more about your power. just make sure you set your gain right.
keep it greasy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic