icon

spraying gel coat for mold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys im wondering if anyone can help me out on how to spray Gel Coat for the first layer of making a mold.

RIght now I don't have air tools so I can't use an air gun to spray it. I was watching a youtube video on making a mold and it sayis "a cleaning gun is a cheap way for spraying gelcoat".  WHat im wondering is: is a cleaning gun he is talking about literally an empty windex bottle(well one like it) or is that a special type of air gun needing an air compressor? Here is the youtube link to what i was talkign about. at 1 minute 48 seconds is where hes spraying the gelcoat. http://youtube.com/watch?v=nsvgaWHPMF4

Soon I might be able to get a compressor soon but not too soon. 

So overall my question is, what did he mean by a cleaning gun and is there any way to apply it to an interior part without using an air compressor powered spray gun? thanks!

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

That's an air gun. There is the Airless spray gun, but I do not recommend them because of the high overspray and large volume waste for most projects. A lot of it goes to waste when using the airless. Air guns, particularly HVLPs use a lower velocity and a more controlled spray resulting in very little waste and a LOT more control.

A Cleaning gun is a bit of both worlds. Dirt cheap, don't need a powerful compressor, and relatively easy to clean and maintain (Assuming you don't let the material cure inside the gun itself. But if you do, you only out about $15) It's kick back is that it is not as efficient and controlled as the HVLP, but for most smaller applications, it is fine for spraying on most mediums for molding.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
cool thanks,. I think i am going to get a compressor thats 10 gallonsa nd i think its 5CFM at 45 psi and 4.6 at 90 psi for my projects. I think i can get a HVLP gun at HarborFreight locally for $15 on sale(they have a sale this week i think on them for that much)
ceasar326 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Well primer with meck be the same as gelcoat for molding,

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic