icon

no room for my subs, 6x9’s as subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  

I recently traded my 2001 Dodge Neon for a 2000 Dodge Dakota.  It is single cabbed, so obviously their is no room for my 12" Kappa perfects or Sub Amp. 

I have a middle of the line (Phoenix Gold) 4 channel amp, 100 watts per channel (claimed) under the seat, powering 2 Alpine type-r 6.5" component sets.  They sound amazing to me, but I want a small amount more bass. 

I have alpine type-r 6x9s left over from my neon.  They will set easily behind the seats and run off the 2 left-over channels from the PG amp.  How can I get the most bass out of the 6x9's.  Any treble is obviously useless becasue it will be killed by the seat.  Can I port the box, or should I just throw them in boxes and call it done?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.....

Jacob

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
6x9's won't put out much bass at all just sitting on the floor behind the seats...you need a speaker actually designed for sub duty.
if you want some bass out of them you'll probably need a fairly large enclosure...by then you could just get a subwoofer.
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  

you could cut the 6x9 holes a lil bit, and drop a couple 8" or 7" midbasses in  there. You would need to enclose them, of course, but that would do the trick, they usually don't require anywhere near the airspace of a sub to sound good.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1570528/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Here's a good set of midbass speakers,

http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_11643_MB+Quart+RVF+164.html

and here's another set thats not so expensive.

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Holy crap! no room for my subs, 6x9’s as subs? -- posted image.  I've never seen anything like that!
Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
I've used them with outstanding results.
Support the12volt.com
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I bought tang band 6.5's for my build.... I've never seen a 6x9 sub either.... that's crazy!
...don't crush the weasel...
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
Those 8x12's look interesting.  I might be able to squeeze those in.  Thanks for the link DYohn.  I thought all subs were either round or square.....
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
theetimurban 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
That's exactly the link I was gonna give him, I personally had never seen one 'til I got this years Parts Express catalog.
DYohn 
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I first used them in 1999.  6X9 drivers are the OEM subwoofers (not Tang Band, but similar drivers manufactured by Onkyo and Alpine) in many Ford and Lincoln premium sound systems.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic