icon

2006 navigator dash suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jhruzek 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a Kenwood DNX-7100 in my wife's Navigator. Any suggestions for running the GPS wire from the dash would be greatly appreciated. (If it involves removing some of the dash, an explanation of how to do so will also be needed!)
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2008 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Are you talking about the VSS wire or the GPS antenna? The antenna can be placed ontop of an airduct behind the radio cavity. It doesn't need to be on the top of the dash, it will work thru the plastic dashboard....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jhruzek 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Excellent. I was talking about the gps wire.
jhruzek 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone tell me what the 3 different connectors on the back of the factory radio are? I know which is the primary connector. The other two smaller ones may be for steering wheel controls and for a factory amp. If so, which is which? Also, does anyone know what the specs are on the amp? Are they as good as those in the Kenwood DNX-7100 that I am installing?
AirWaveGT 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
the smallest plug is for the amp for the factory subs. the medium sized plug is for factory sirius, has can signal wire, etc. no idea what the specs on the amp are but it is only for the subs. if you want those to play then you can get a harness from metra that comes with the main harness plug and the small plug that has amp turn on and rcas to plug into the sub output of the radio.
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the small plug is subs, Metra part # 70-5521  will give you the main harness and this sub harness. You will find after connecting this the sub will make a pop noise when you turn it on as you are still using the factory sub amp. You can solve this by adding a resistor to the amp turn on lead on the same plug. As for the 3rd plug, usually for overhead factory DVD and other things. The VSS and the steering wheel control wires are on the main plug...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jhruzek 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
If there are plugs in the smaller connectors, does that mean that the system actually has both the satellite radio and the subwoofer? Neither my wife nor I listen to music at high volumes. Is there any reason to wire the subs? I am sure that the Kenwood will have plenty of power for her purposes. Do we lose speakers other than the subwoofer? Where is it located in a Navigator?
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
You won't loose any other speakers but why would you not want to hook it up? A sub makes low and medium volume sound great too, they aren't just for guys that like it loud. It's a simple connection, buy the right plug for a few dollars....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jhruzek 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Mike,
Thank you for your replies. I went ahead and got the additional harness.
When I hookup the steering wheel control, do I lose any functionality? Currently, it has volume, media and favorite controls.
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2008 at 6:13 AM / IP Logged  
You keep it all, a very easy install for wheel controls...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic