icon

the audiovox ccs100

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brianradomski 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

Hoping that I typed that model correctly, well I just joined so gee exactly what to say I'll really do my best with a dilemma and wording.

I am old enough (52 shortly) to recall installing, in the 1970s an after market cruise control that sears used to sell I believe it was by audiovox. I recall a lot about it because at the time i was in my 20s and hoping to be the scientist mechanic so when i saw that maze of wires gadets and connections i was intimidated! There was even a monemt of humor/comedy when I thought I did it wrong and gave up. Imagine my excitement and pride when I found that i installed the kit perfectly. That was so many years ago I dont even recall what became of the control kits but the cars are all long gone.

A wonderful goal has just come through in time for my birthday a 1970 ford camper. In checking it out formally after purchase I have discovered that it also has an after market cruise control. I recognise the on off switch for the directional switch, I recognise the servo and magnet coil and its wires. Is this the remains of that same old audiovox? Or is it missing the plastic box?

Back when I first installed the kit in the 1970s I recall that one of the parts the kit used was a purple(?) colored plastic box where an adjustment was and used a big wide plug connector. This box also had a white wire that came from one hole and went back into the box through another hole, that wire had to be snipped i recall. Well now both on the camper and here on line I no longer see that purple box. Has audiovox changed/upgraded the system that all signal processing is now done in the servo unit? If so I am ahead of the project of restoring this old cruise control because "all" I need to do is reconnect connections and hopefully the cruise control will function again.

Unfortunatly me lady talked me into purchasing a replacemernt audiovox just in case. She hates to see the camper go up in smoke reconnecting the old cruise control, she hates to see the van just take off with a defective old cruise control! Yes she has her point but wow to reconnect all those connections and see it work again! So folks is this van missing the purple box or was the purple box discontinued.......or.......wow there are so many variables and alternatives here. I have to save money but I so believe in cruise control. If I reconnect what is there in the camper and the control kit works again, oh well I have a spare back up control kit should this old one fail or be dead.

thank you for your time from Brian!
nikko0213 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
With the CCS-100 going into a camper.  The camper can be no longer than 24 feet.  If i was you listen to your wife and put the new cruise in it.  Don't try or really waste your time fooling around with the old.  You never know.  I rather be safe then sorry.
brianradomski 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

"Nikko"  thank  you  for  your  reply. 

The  old  camper  is  18 feet  long  so  as  far  as  that  spec  goes  I  am  in  normal  specs.

I  bought  an  audiovox  kit  from  amazon, it  no  longer  uses  apparantly  the  plastic  box  of  componants  anymore.  It  is  now apprantly  upgraded  nicely  that  the  servo  does  all  the  work.  There  are  thus  only  like   3  mount/connections 

1. the  servo

2.magnets  on  the  driceshafrt

3. mount  the  on  off  and  function  switch (and  connec t the  spagetti  of  wires.

However  as  a  surprise  to  me,  since  the  old  camper  has  original  manual  brakes  its  a  bit  harder  to  stop....so  either  i'll  forget  the  kit,   or  install  and  rarely  use  it

thank you for your time from Brian!
nikko0213 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

Brian

I put that CCS-100 on a buddy of mine 56 Fairlane 500 and it worked great.  Just make not to get  vacumm from the brake booster.  Get it from the mainifold.  If you have a vacuum tester make sure it gets anywhere from 8psi to 22psi under load(So that means take for a ride when you are doing that test.  Since that camper is an automatic just ground the blue tach wire.  Unless you can connect to the neg side of coil.  Also with the magnets make sure you can get them as close as possible. If you want to check to see if the magnets are working properly.  Get a digital meter and set it up for A/C millivolts.  While driving at 35mph the meter will read anywhere from 350mv to 750mv.  It will fluctuate while driving.  And also and its very important make sure all the brake bulbs are working if you have a bulb out it will cause the cruise not to work.  If you have any problems email me back

Nick

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. I thought I was the only person old enough to remember the old cruise controls using purple boxes. There were also ones with black, yellow and orange boxes too. They were made back in the day by Hayes Dana, which eventually became Rostra precision controls. They were great in their day, but that was long ago. Install the new cruise and it should last many years. A couple of things to keep in mind. When installing the magnetic speed sensor, make sure you use one magnet on the rear drive shaft. Mount it with the supplied tie strap and also use a little silicone to secure it. Locate the magnet and sensor within 1 foot of any U joint. Mount the coil to the side of the driveshaft to allow for up/down movement. Make sure the bracket is solid and doesn't wabble. The head of the thru bolt should be 1/2 inch away from the magnet when it passes by it. As for vacuum, the manifold is good, but you may find that on steep hills the cruise drops more than 5 mph. If it does you can buy a vacuum reservoir to help. Rostra sells them with built in check valves. Keep the cruise control throttle cable tight, but not too tight that it won't allow the throttle to return to it's idle position. It should allow it to rest on the idle adjustment screw. Make sure that you use a good ground (paint free area of body). Like Brian mentioned, your brake light system needs to in proper electrical condition. If you use a OHM meter to measure the resistance to ground on the cold side of the brake switch (cruise violet wire) it should have less than 5 ohms resistance to ground with the ignition turned OFF.
sparky
ricktinfwb 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

2006 Jeep Wrangler.4.0 L 6 cyl; had the Audiovox CCS-100 professionally installed; it is very sloppy; allows the indicated speed to bleed off until auto tranny down-shifts out of over-drive; the Jeep has 33" tires; I was wondering on which sensitivity setting should the 'dip switches' be set?

RT

rt
zziggy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

I would suggest stepping up to the SCS 4342 cruise control on the Jeep and for any RV or towing. Its 100% all electric, uses VSS or the speedometer speed signal adapter on GM style speedometer cables.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic