civic with python alarm won't start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
comapro 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have a 00 Civic EX with a Python alarm. I bought it with the alarm already installed and I'm not sure what the model is, but the remote is 488V/P/X so I looked up manuals for 571XP, 671XP, and 871XP. I am unable to start the car and I believe the alarm is disabling the starter. When I turn the key it just clicks once, also I can hear a buzzing (sounds like its under the steering wheel). I tried to bypass the alarm by pressing and holding the valet switch but that didn't work. The alarm light doesn't blink, and when I press the valet button with the key in start it will either turn on or off (not sure what it means?).

Here's more info that may be helpful. The remote stopped working one day at work so I used the valet switch to get the car to start. I drove it home and a few days later I bought a new car so I left the Civic parked in the parking lot (at my condo) with the alarm disabled. Someone broke the driver's side window. I drove the car nearer to my place to keep an eye on it. Three weeks later I try to start it and it just clicks. Surpsingly the remote works again so I toggle the arm/disarm a few times to see if it makes any difference. Also I bought a new remote but don't know how to program it. I had a spare battery so I tried that, also I recharged the main battery to try again. The lights come on inside, power windows work, etc, but I can't start it.

So what I want to determine is, is the alarm at fault, and if so how do I disable/bypass it?

peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

Are you getting any dash lights when you turn the key to attempt to start the car?

Your alarm light is off?

I think this is not your Python alarm, it's more like your Honda starter relay ... might be fried.  If you're getting power to accessories like windows, lights in the interior, etc... the battery is ok and if it maintained a charge the alternator is likely ok.... (would put a VMM to the battery to make sure your battery has enough juice). 

If you have a starter kill installed (as it seems you do), that relay may be dysfunctional, and if you're able to, you can drop the lower dash and replace this SPDT relay after locating it.  You could also snip the GWA (-) wire from the alarm brain (ground-while-armed) to disable the starter kill.

You should also check the ground to the alarm brain to make sure nothing got jacked when your car was broken into.

Has the car been "struggling" to turn over when it was starting ... ?  Did it seem like the battery was dying or running out of juice? Over the past few weeks?

The search function is your friend.
comapro 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. I finally looked at the car again last week and it was the starter. Before it would just click once, then last week it was constantly clicking. I tapped it with a hammer and then I was able to get it to start turning. I jumped the car and then started! I'll be replacing the starter soon. Thanks again.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic