icon

oem stereo convert to rca w/out noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aaron9999a 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
I bought some cheap speaker level converters a while back to convert the speaker outs on my factory headunit to RCA's so I could use an amp to power my full range speakers and subwoofer. I have Infinity Reference 6 1/2" components up front and Reference 6 x 9's in the rear of my 2000 GMC Jimmy. I am pushing them with an Infinity Kappa 50 watt x 4 amp. I have an old-school Rockford BD1000 pushing a SVC 4 ohm MTX Thunder 6000. The headunit is a Bose model, and had a factory amp, which I cut out a long time ago. The problem that I have is that the speaker level converters let through a lot of noise from the alternator and thumps when lights turn on etc., etc. At first I thought my alternator was going out, so I purchased a rebuild kit and put in a new rectifier and regulator, with no effect on the noise. I ran a ground from the converters directly to the battery, thinking that the noise was maybe from a bad ground. It made the alternator whine worse. Even when the truck is off, there is still a small hum. My question is, what are some GOOD converters that won't let any noise through? The only thing I've found so far is a Scosche 4 channel converter at Walmart. Or do I need a noise filter? Appreciate the help.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Well, if you mean you are using a Bose OEM head unit, where are you getting the signal for the line-level converters?  Most Bose HUs send out a line-level signal to external amps.  If you are using a LOC on a line-level signal, it won't work properly... they are designed to be connected to speaker level - amplified - signals.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic