icon

2003 jetta, hu, retained accessory power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out.  I have a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta and I just put in an aftermarket head unit.  I bought a special harness for it that is suppose to retain the RAP (retained accessory power) feature.  This is suppose to keep my radio on after I take the key out of the ignition but turn it off when I open the door.  The problem I am having is that the radio will stay on after I take out the key and open the door.  The only way it will turn off is if I open the front passenger's side door.  I'm not familar with VW wiring at all so I don't have a clue what the problem is.

I'll explain a bit further.  At first I was told it was a programming problem.  But I tried what Metra suggested and it didn't help at all.  I figured out that it was probably my car the other day.  I found that when I took the key out and opened the door I could still use the power windows.  However, when I opened the passenger door I could not longer use them.  This means that somehow that door is not working correctly.  What is even stranger is that it always use to work on my stock radio. 

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I will probably be taking my car to the VW dealership soon but if it is an easy fix I would much rather do it myself.  Metra told me the problem may be a door switch is not working. 

My wiring harness is the Metra XSVI-9003 and I have the Monsoon system with the double din radio.

bbullers 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

Check inside your door, and look for the door trigger wire. I know what wires they're supposed to be, but you have Power Windows, and everything I have looked at says that the wires are different colors if you have power windows. BROWN / Yellow for the Drivers door, and BROWN / Violet for the Passenger door. Again this is if you dont have power windows.  When you find your door trigger wire, make note of it's color, and check at your deck to see if the RAP wire is the same color? I honestly don't know what the problem is, I'm ust throwing an Idea at you, hoping that it helps.  Also, what Deck, and other aftermarket items are installed in this vehicle? That will help other people to assist you.

The Only Stupid Question, is the one Un-asked
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

My deck is an Eclipse CD3200.  I think that it is something in my car though, not something that connects to my deck.  I say that because of what I said before when my power windows still work when I open the door as well. 

I'll look at the door trigger wire and see if I can find anything.  If anyone else has a possible suggestion I would love to hear it.  I talked to the VW dealership and they said they will have to diagnose the problem.  It will be $93 per hour so I don't really want to go that way if it isn't something very difficult.  Even if you can point me in the right direction it will help.  Then if I have the dealership fix it I can tell them what the problem is and it will be cheaper since they don't have to search around for it.

bbullers 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
A little off topic, but I have a Eclipse CD3000 Head Unit, Just thought that odd I guess. Looks like yours has a lot more features though.... By the way, Have you had any luck with the Eiserv Directions feature? I've never got it working yet
The Only Stupid Question, is the one Un-asked
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

bbullers wrote:
A little off topic, but I have a Eclipse CD3000 Head Unit, Just thought that odd I guess. Looks like yours has a lot more features though.... By the way, Have you had any luck with the Eiserv Directions feature? I've never got it working yet

I haven't really been able to use it much yet.  I found out this problem when I just installed the CD3200.  I have only listened to it for a couple of minutes because right now it is unplugged until I get this problem fixed.  I like it so far though.2003 jetta, hu, retained accessory power -- posted image.

whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
I brought it to the dealership today.  They said the interior door latch was bad so they are replacing that.  Thanks for the help and hopefully this solves my problem.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic