icon

sub is smoking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
izi2k 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
I Got a Sony XM-1252GTR 2/1 Channel in Brige mode at 340 watts/ 800Watts Max to a pionner premier 12" sub 400watts rms/ 1200max
And Afther like two minute smoke was coming from the vent of the enclosure. I dismount the sub to see it was coming from the magnet
how is this possible my amp is not that strong??
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
You are mismatched. It sounds like you are expecting more than your system is capable of providing, and you have misadjusted your amp.
Re-set your gain.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Here's the simplest answer:

Speakers like two things.

1) A.C. signals

2) Voice coil venting

Speakers dislike two things:

1) D.C. signals

2) Lack of venting.

My guess is that the sub was driven into sub-sonic tones or that the amp was overdriven causing the signal to saturate meaning that the sub was getting a D.C. signal too often for too long. It doesn't take much power to do so, a 1.5 volt battery on the coil for a minute would have yielded the same results.

This amp is actually 125 watts according to CEA standards. The lack of sufficient clean power will destroy your sub.

Get an amp that puts out 400 watts CEA and you should be in business (don't forget sub-sonic filtering and box tuning).

BTW, your sub should be in a

• Sealed 0.85 - 1.75 cubic feet  or
  • Ported 1.25 - 2.05 cubic feet
  • Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
    haemphyst 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,054
    Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: May 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
    Big Dog wrote:
    My guess is that the sub was driven into sub-sonic tones or that the amp was overdriven causing the signal to saturate meaning that the sub was getting a D.C. signal too often for too long. It doesn't take much power to do so, a 1.5 volt battery on the coil for a minute would have yielded the same results.
    That's ABSOLUTELY wrong, on two points. 1: The failure he is describing is electrical, and not mechanical. 2: Unless the TOTAL POWER DISSIPATED EXCEEDS THE ELECTRICAL RATING OF THE WOOFER, the voice coil doesn't give a crap whether the voltage across the terminals is AC or DC. Period.
    1.5 volts, across 4 ohms equals .56 watts. That's one-half of one watt. Now, if the woofer (really, ANY driver) is rated for SIGNIFICANTLY less than one watt, .5 watts will NEVER blow ANY speaker. Even connecting a decent 4 ohm woofer across a 12 volt car battery won't blow it, as even at 12 volts that's only 36 watts.
    Big Dog wrote:
    This amp is actually 125 watts according to CEA standards. The lack of sufficient clean power will destroy your sub.
    This is also a complete fallacy. Low power CANNOT damage a speaker. Done and done. We've been over this and over this... Here, read this thread... It explains everything completely.
    It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
    Big Dog 
    Posted: May 20, 2008 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
    Then I have nothing more to say.
    Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
    izi2k 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: May 20, 2008 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
    thx a lot
    I readjust my amp and everything is going well so far
    Big Dog 
    Posted: May 20, 2008 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

To quote myself, I said:

Big Dog wrote:

Here's the simplest answer:

Speakers like two things.

1) A.C. signals

2) Voice coil venting

Speakers dislike two things:

1) D.C. signals

2) Lack of venting.

This is the same thing as what is said here: http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm ,"Remember that during the clipped portion of the waveform current is still flowing through the voice coil. Since the displacement of the voice coil (and therefore the airflow around the voice coil) is no longer proportional to the heat being generated, the voice coil can overheat."

An overheated voice coil can burn the schellac off the voice coil wire thus emmitting that undeniable smell that prompted this post to begin with.

You'll notice that I started my first post with the statement : "Here's the simplest answer " wanting to avoid beating a dead horse.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
    DYohn 
    Moderator - Posts: 10,741
    Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: May 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
    Whenever I catch my subs smoking I smack them upside the head, make them read some literature about lung cancer, ground them for three weeks and take away their Nintendo privileges.
    Support the12volt.com
    izi2k 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: May 20, 2008 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
    lol
    sub is smoking -- posted image.
    spookiestylez 
    Silver - Posts: 531
    Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: May 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
    that's right, you regulate DYohn! Tell those silly subs who's boss.
    rtfm
    Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic