icon

dei 528t as a glow plug timer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vtcruiser 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
I'm new to the site, so I hope I am posting in the right place. I will rewiring a diesel engine soon and am trying to figure out a way to have the glow plugs on a timer. They will only need to be used for cold starts and for no more than about 30 seconds. I have read about the DEI 528T module and it sounds like it could work, but I want to make sure I understand it correctly, or see if there is another (cheaper) way to do it.
Here's how I envision it to work:
1) The 528T will be triggered by a momentary pulse of the starter switch using the key.
2) This will send 12v power via a relay to the glow plugs, which will remain on for about 30 seconds and then shut off.
3) The starter will be cranked manually via a push-button switch and relay just after the glow sequence has been initiated. This way, if the engine is warm, I would not have to pulse the glow plugs.
Can I use the 528T like this? Is there another way to do the same thing? Thanks!
davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
yes, the 528 T  should do what you want it to do just fine.   cheaper option..  hold a button down for 30  seconds when you want to warm up the glow plug?     either way i dont rember these being so expensive, under 20 bucks.
life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
vtcruiser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
davngr wrote:
yes, the 528 T should do what you want it to do just fine.   cheaper option.. hold a button down for 30 seconds when you want to warm up the glow plug?     either way i dont rember these being so expensive, under 20 bucks.
that's how I had it set up before. I am just looking for something more automated this time around. Thanks!
vtcruiser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
I have another question...
The amount of time the plugs will need to be on depends on outside/engine temperature, so I'll need to be able to adjust the timer accordingly. The module itself will most likely be mounted in a place that is not easy to get to, and from what I read the 528T has a built-in adjustment knob for the timer.
Does anyone have a photo of this adjuster? Would it be possible to wire some kind of remote adjuster in it's place, or modify it so that the adjuster can be mounted in the dash to make for easy adjustment?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic