icon

stopping mirror from vibrating

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hello. Just wanted to start off by saying that this is by far the BEST and most respected forum I have seen. Everyone on here gives great information. Anyways, my rear view mirror vibrates to the point that it slides downwards. I have to constantly pull it back up or else I cant look out it. Is there anything I can do to stop this or atleast help it?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
The vibration will never end... It's going to be something you are going to have to live with.
Now, to ALLEVIATE the issue, inside your rear-view, there is probably a screw that can tighten the clamp's grip on the swivel ball. I know that Hondas have this screw, it may be the same for others, as well. I also know that for Hondas there is a special service tool (SST) necessary to split the mirror housing without damaging it.
Check with your dealer, they may be able to help you a little bit more...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

Year/make/model?

This is relevent because I've seen the swivel wear out.  Depending on how much bass you have you may be able to replace the mirror mount and get rid of the problem.  If the mount / swivel is tight then you will have a much harder time preventing it from moving. 

You could always try cutting the remote wire to your bass amp(s)!

Kevin Pierson
98neonr/t 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
another quick fix for that is to drop some super glue in the swivel joints but just know that after you do that it is not going to meve so set it first
i kant spel
noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2008 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok the car is a 02 cavalier. The swivel is still tight. Um the mirror doesnt slide down all the time. It only does it on certain songs with tons of bass. I might have the problem once a month or even longer. I was thinking about super glue but I dont know. Could I by any chance put a tad bit of dynamat or something else to help soften the jolt enough to where the mirror wont slide down?
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
lol mirror shakes lol errrrrr ok i use rubber silicon. it will peal right off and not leave any goooo.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
noobie4life 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
and put the silicon where exactly?
chadarcy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
Silicon is a great idea!  It won't stop the vibration but it should keep the mirror from moving on you.  Try to get some into the joint!
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  
that really depands on what type of mirror you have? but to be honest it wont stop the vibrating it willstop it from moving at least it works for me. i put it all around the ball on the mount of the mirror.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic