icon

constant power to camera?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dsorensen11 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2008 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
I purchased a Boyo VTL350 backup camera. I'm installing it into a '06 Tundra DC and would like to supply power to it from the hot lead in the trailer wiring harness. This means that the camera would be powered any time the truck is running. Does anybody know if it is a problem to keep constant power on these cameras? Any problems with overheating the cam or limiting the lifespan,etc?
Thanks for any help.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2008 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Can you find the 12v+ wire that goes hot with reverse and then ground the other lead, that way it would only be on in reverse.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
dsorensen11 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply Techman. I would like to be able to use the camera while I am going forward as well. I could put a switch in to supply power to the camera when I'm not in reverse, but would prefer not to if its not necessary. Anybody know of any issues with keeping the camera powered up?
noobie4life 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Ok. The reason the instructions for all these cameras is so that the camera isnt powered during actual driving. It is illegal for the driver to have a tv monitor in site during driving, so thats why they have it that way. You can indeed have the camera on the entire time though without hurting it at all. It all depends on when you want the camera on, reguarding to how you need it wired. If you want it to be turned on all the time when the ignition is turned on, then you need to run the power wire to any switched battery wire. For instance, your wipers only work when the car is turned on, so you could splice it in there. You could also just simply splice into the actual igntion wire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic