icon

resistors in relays? what are they for?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
astrosurfer 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hi again. I have these 2 relays i want to utilise on my vehicle. they are from a different car. Though both are 5 pin relays and work. my question is.. what do the 1000 ohm resistors across the coils do? can they just be removed and use it like a normal relay. 1 of them also has a diode across + and -. Unable to determine diode number without unsoldering it first. but it has a blue band. My intention is to get them to break one circuit whilst energising another. From reading the forum I understand the wiring needed etc. however the resistor is not mentioned in any of the relay configurations i looked at. to remove it would make the relays look like the diagrams on here. i'm actually trying to do this as low cost as possible. i.e. having to buy only the capacitors and resistors. I am on a very low budget right now. also could anyone guide me to a good source for capacitors...since i can't seem to find the ones from the diagrams i looked at. the 10K ufd capacitor for the flash to constant application. any help is obviously appreciated. thanks for taking the time.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

Radioshack would be a great place for caps if you want to pick them up.  You will pay a bit more, buy you won't pay shipping or have to worry about order mins (like you would at www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com)

The resistor is most likely similar to a diode across the coil - designed to supress the current created by the collapsing of the magnetic field when a relay is deenergized. 

Kevin Pierson
astrosurfer 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the reply man. sadly i can't find the 10K uf capacitor at any of the above. and since it is used in some relay diagrams on the site it's strange i cannot find it anywhere online. any alternative i can use?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=P10011-ND

That is a very large value, I would try to adjust the resistor to achieve a smaller capacitance.

Kevin Pierson
astrosurfer 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2008 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
i thought it was a high value myself. however it is the one listed on the diagram on this page for the application i am doing pulsed to steady outputso i would like to use the value there...unless you have an alternative suggestion for me to try. on the same note...what i am actually doing is making my marker lights on my 2000 pontiac firebird blink with my flashers. and return to on state when flasher finishes. at present i have just noticed that my drl circuit to my front drl bulbs gets interupted when i turn on blinker and the previously drl bulb flashes to the blinker relay. telling me that there is already a circuit available to patch into. all i should really need to do is isolate it and incorporate my side marker lights into the circuit via a spdt relay. i will come up with a plan diagram in a moment. busy right now. am i on the right track here?
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
I usually wouldn't use the huge cap method for relay timing, timing is going to vary depending on what relay you use, and timing isn't easily changed to suit.
Using a solid state driver is cheaper and better in a lot of ways, but a lot of guys aren't comfortable working with electronics.
If you're ambitious enough and want to give it a try:
pulsed to steady circuit
astrosurfer 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the input. I've actually found a way to incorporate 2 spdt's without caps into my existing circuitry. So I am going to try that out. I used the wiring diagram from autozone and redesigned my needs into it by utilizing 2 spdt relays. I'm doing it that way because there's already a circuit available for the application I am attempting. Not all cars are wired this way and i'm glad i figured it out. anyone who is interested in my modification I will up the diagrams.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic