icon

alpine iva w505 or iva d106?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alpine0000 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
i almost feel silly posting a thread like this alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image. but ive been losing sleep over it for the past week or two, and need some fresh opinions!
i currently have the IVA-D310 alpine head unit with the NVE-872A nav module. (i have a toyota 4runner with a double din opening, so i can fit either unit im considering right now)
im getting the itch to upgrade my headunit after seeing the newer stuff lately in alpines site. i have never seen either unit in question. i went to best buy, tweeter, and my local custom car audio shop. neither of the 3 had these two units on display for me to look at.
so, for those of you who work in the car audio industry and have gotten to see both, my question is this:
which one would you choose (for my application) and why? (im not running any amps or aftermarket speakers. i just want it for nav, dvd, and ipod interface. also going to add HD radio and bluetooth). please enlighten me on any pros and cons of each that i may not have thought of. i compared them on crutchfield.com and on alpines site. they seem to be very close in specs.
i have made a list of pros and cons that i feel are important for my needs and application.
~~IVA-W505~~
pros:
*higher quality screen (WVGA, as opposed to QVGA of the 106)
*USB input for the ipod is faster than the full speed ipod input of the 106
*wont have to lay the screen flat to adjust the a/c controls like i would with the 106
cons:
4runner radio location is very low on the dash, down by the gear shift and my knees, and with a unit that doesnt "flip up", i have to look 4 inches lower on the dash, taking my eyes farther off of the road.
~~IVA-D106~~
pros:
*flips up so the screen is nearer to my line of site with the road
cons:
*QVGA screen is not as good as the 505's WVGA screen
*blocks a/c controls
*no high speed USB input
im leaning towards the IVA-W505, but im just bummed about how low the radio location is location in the 4runner... but i do prefer the way the double dins look in the dash more than the flip out.
so, what do ya'll say? alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image. would you not get the 505 because the screen viewing would get moved down 4 inches? or should i just shut up and buy it? alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image. am i overlooking any other things to consider here?
oh, fwiw, the $100 higher cost of the 505 should not be a concern in this debate, as its too minimal for it to effect my decision.
regards,
william
2015 4Runner TRD Pro
-Viper 5706V alarm/remote start
-Viper DBALL2 Bypass Module
-Valentine One radar detector
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
505 HAS tilt so it shouldn't be too bad. It is a far superior deck to the 106.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
extreme1 wrote:
505 HAS tilt so it shouldn't be too bad. It is a far superior deck to the 106.
thanks for the reply, extreme.alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image.
i gathered that the 505 was superior, but i was just hoping to stir up a conversation on why (so i know what im sacrificing or getting with each unit depending on which deck i choose). alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image.
i know these two units are pretty new still, though... so im not sure if people have much of an opinion formed yet.
anybody?
2015 4Runner TRD Pro
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
the 505 i just put in my order for mine today with the guy i get all my alpine stuff from.  also ordered the blackbird, pdx 1000, and 2.100 type x comp, type x 12, bluetooth, the imprint system, and a couple more add ons too.   the 505 is the way to go in my opinion.  but i am a die hard alpine guy too.. never had any other kind of deck.  and the sleek look of the 505 is amazing. 
you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the reply chillin430. Again though, I was more looking for opinions on WHY one deck would be, or is, superior. alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image.
2015 4Runner TRD Pro
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
iPod is better on the 505, dIvx control is better, better screen quality, integrates better into your vehicle, etc etc etc
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
man. the shops in my area STILL dont have the 505 or the 106 in stock. im 99% sure im going with the 505, but i sorta wanted to see it before i bought it.
maybe ill just order it online...
2015 4Runner TRD Pro
benzo33 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

chillin420 wrote:
the 505 i just put in my order for mine today with the guy i get all my alpine stuff from.  also ordered the blackbird, pdx 1000, and 2.100 type x comp, type x 12, bluetooth, the imprint system, and a couple more add ons too.   the 505 is the way to go in my opinion.  but i am a die hard alpine guy too.. never had any other kind of deck.  and the sleek look of the 505 is amazing. 

Me too! Well, for head units at least! I've had one in every car that I have owned. Doesn't  the 2-din unit come with a remote? So you shouldn't have to look too far down, just aim and press.

2001 Corolla S and 2005 Neon SRT 4 ACR.
alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
benzo33 wrote:

...Doesn't the 2-din unit come with a remote? So you shouldn't have to look too far down, just aim and press.

I meant when I need to look at navigation info etc...
not just changing the volume or station. alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image.
I do a lot of traveling for work in my own car and i use my navigation a pretty fair amount and im constantly looking at my nav screen while driving. alpine iva w505 or iva d106? -- posted image.
2015 4Runner TRD Pro

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic