icon

mono amp to dual chambered sub box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iwanttobang 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
IS there a way to hook up a class d mono amp to subwoofers in a box that has separate chambers with its own speaker input?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, there are at least two ways.  What coils do the subs have and what is your target impedance?  And how many subs?  And does the mono amp have dual speaker inputs or just one pos and neg?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
iwanttobang 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Yes, there are at least two ways. What coils do the subs have and what is your target impedance? And how many subs? And does the mono amp have dual speaker inputs or just one pos and neg?
I'am shooting for 2 ohms this time
Subwoofer will be dual voice coil
Not sure of the amp yet but it seems most of the mono amps I had have dual speaker inputs even though they are Mono amps. i'm thinking about getting a KENWOOD KAC-9103D amp with 1 12' Pioneer premier TSW3001.
Thanks
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
They would need to be dual 8 ohm and all coils wired parallel to get 2 ohms. Why don't you just get single voice coil 4 ohm?
The other way would be dual 2 ohm wired series and parallel.
In my opinion, just get regular single voice coil 4 ohm and wire them parallel.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

You didn't answer what impedance the dual coils are or how many subs, but wiring sub-to-sub can be done on the outside of the box.   Figure out your wiring diagram and connect the voice coils on each sub.  Run each sub to its box terminal and then wire terminals together the same way you would wire subs together.

When paralleling multiple subs by using connecting posts mounted on the box, you would end up with stacked connections.  If your box is a prefab (which I assume it is), the connectors are likely cheap push-in types that may not hold stacked wires well.  A mono amp with dual speaker terminals would allow you to run separate wires from the amp to each side of the box and eliminate stacked wires, and the paralleling will take place on the amp itself.

Or, given that the amp you choose doesn't provide the dual connection feature, avoid stacked wires by soldering a wire-to-wire connection rather than trying to stuff too much wire into a small receptacle.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
iwanttobang 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Okay thanks. What I will do is get the sub purchased and amp and check back in here.
I might have to go with 2 single 4 phms

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic