astravan sub enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wackedchewbacca 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Hello Everyone,
      I've Been a long time lurker and only recently needed more help than can be provided using the search feature. Thanks to most tutorials on here as well, they've been mega useful!
Right my 'problem' is this; I am attempting to install a 12" pioneer sub in my 54 plate astravan. But i decided to be awkward and choose to install it in the cab. Didnt really want all the sound to be in the back. For those who dont already know, there are 8" high holes in the bulkhead just behind the seats, Pefect really. I've cut the holes out a bit and made a 'half' fiberglass inclosure to fit over the hole and hold the sub in place. Its not finished yet but its getting there!
I have only recently thought about what is behind these holes, big voids, going all the way back to the rear wheel arch. Not going to be a perfect sealed enclosure really..
I have had a few ideas, first being expanding foam, and creating a wall, but its way too big, and wouldnt really be air tight, obviously trying to go over this with FG would destroy it too being oil based.
The other idea was to fit some mdf in there as tight as i can, and again FG over it, but this is going to be really awkward due to accessing it through the hole, and with the seat in the way. (how easy is it to get the seat right out of the way?) Plus surely i will need to get the enclosure as close to the reccomended size for a sealed enclosure.
Anyone Had any experience with anything like this? Any ideas? Is it worth my continuing or shall i just dump it lazily in the back?
Thanks in advance for replys/ideas.
Ben
wackedchewbacca 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
nobody?
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

O_O... Where did my post go?

I recommended using foil and masking tape over your expanding foam to prevent the resin from eating hte foam away. I recommend looking in the "how-to-glass" sticky for details on that.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
irocsound 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
This forum sucks. I've looked for advice and found there are very few people on her that actually know enough to help out. If i were you I'd find a new forum or search the internet for ideas. If your good with wood id go mdf and fiberglass over it. The foam would be a mess and will waist space that could be used for more box volume. Remove the seat though it will make working inside the cab 100 X's easier and is well worth it. Sorry for the little amount of response to your forum post.
-Devin-
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

irocsound wrote:
Hello,
This forum sucks. I've looked for advice and found there are very few people on her that actually know enough to help out. If i were you I'd find a new forum or search the internet for ideas. If your good with wood id go mdf and fiberglass over it. The foam would be a mess and will waist space that could be used for more box volume. Remove the seat though it will make working inside the cab 100 X's easier and is well worth it. Sorry for the little amount of response to your forum post.
-Devin-

I'm sorry you feel that way about this forum. I've used it religiously and have always found people to be extremely helpful. I will agree it's not the biggest forum for glass work, but anything else this place has it covered.

On to the problem. I'm not 100% familiar with astro vans, but what if you took some 12" pvc and used that as the enclosure? it would fit the hole and you could easily figure up the volume. Just seal up one end and put the sub in the other, then slide it into the hole you've cut out. Just a thought.....

...don't crush the weasel...
wackedchewbacca 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2008 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Woah thanks for the reply, had pretty much given up here!
i am thinking the same about the seat, looking into that now, cheers irocsound!
Tubbs you mentioned about 12" pvc, and i'm not intirely sure what you mean. Pvc sheets? The thing i am working on at the moment is the internal bit, inside the hole. Sealing the inside is alot harder than sealing the outside.. How are you suggesting i figure up the volume?
Thanks in advance.
Ben
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 18, 2008 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

The formula for figuring the volume of a cylinder is  Pie  X  Radius squared   X   Length    3.14159  X  (6X6) or 36  X  length of the tube.  All measurements in inches.   Then to convert to Cubic Feet, you simply divide that number by 1728.  1728 is the number of cubic inches in a cubic foot    What kind of volume do your speakers require.

Tubbs was talking about some 12 inch in diameter PVC pipe.

wackedchewbacca 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2008 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
the sub is asking for about 1.35cu. ft. I think thats the reccomended size.
Thing is.. I dont think 12" pipe will anywhere near fit in the gap. I'll have a look but even whenits past the hole i think the wierd shapes inside the gap mean that nothing like that could. I'll put some more pics up when i get back from work, Might be able to help better then..
Thanks though,
Ben
ryan@tcp 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Can you post some pictures of the area you are working with? I can't really understand where exactly you are trying to put the subs and some pictures would help me visualize what you are hoping to do.

wackedchewbacca 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
Mate i'm almost there, in the final stages now. Dynamatt in, Cables in, Amp in, Just gotta put that sub in and i'm all set.
I wil post pics of the final product soon.
Thanks for all advice. And if anyone wants any help doing a similar project i have quite a few helpful hints that i learnt on the way.
Ben

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic