icon

alternator wine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbev 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
im running 1 autotek ss1900.d and 1 autotek ss 75.2 and im getting a bad alt. wine from all of my speakers, both amps are grounded to the same place. im running zero gauge wire from the battery to frame, from the battery to the body of the vehicle and from the engine block to the body, also from battery to the engine block so i know i have enough ground. Im assuming that the spot that the amps are grounded to is no good or mabe the ground for the head unit is not good enough. I would appreaciate any suggestions. the only thing i haven't tried yet is running a ground from the amps strait to the battery.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
 do you have your power wire and rca's ran on opposite sides of each other, if not try that
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Pioneer deck?     If so read this   http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
lol wooooooooooot pioneer decks are ground nightmares as mr idiot has pointed out.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

Find out where and what to isolate. Start by unplugging all RCA's from head unit. Run engine. Whine?

1) If not, then plug one RCA into head unit but not completely - just so the tip enters but that the shield doesn't touch. Whine?

2) If no whine after step 1 - and RCA shield isn't touching head unit shield. You might need to cut the shield on the RCA at the head unit end of the cable.

3) If it whines after step 1 - and RCA shield isn't touching head unit shield. Using a wire, ground the shield to an underdash brace and test again.

You can repeat the same exercise for all RCA's. If above steps don't improve, repeat the same at the amplifier.

If you don't want to cut your shields, they sell isolators.

Try the above tests with antenna connected then disconnected.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
bigbev 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
ok i tried everything you said and im still getting the wine, the only time i dont get the wine is when the rca's are completely unpluged so what would you suggest next. Ive had a few people on some other forums tell me that it might be that my amps are grounded to a bad spot.  im going to try running a ground from the amps to the battery and see if that does anything, just haven't had a chance to go get any wire.
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Firstly, run a wire from your head unit to the ground location of the amps. You need to have the head unit grounded at the same spot as your amps to prevent ground loops. I can also tell you from personal experience that I have a system in my car and when all I did was replace my alpine deck with a jensen in dash screen, I got alternator whine when I never had it with the alpine. Your head unit does make a difference.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2008 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a Pioneer deck????
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  

Never add a ground wire from the amp to battery unless amp is under hood or battery is in trunk. Chassis still remains best ground conductor.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
find a ground point already used by the car to ground your amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic