icon

underseat subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Long story short I'm ditching the woofer in the trunk and all the dynamat for weight reduction for autocross and also to just have a trunk again.
Has anyone had good luck or heard very good sound from the compact powered subwoofers that are only like 4" high? I've looked briefly on the internet but haven't gotten a chance to go out and listen to anything. I was thinking about going this route because of the simplicity of everything in one piece and I could remove it easily if I wanted to for a short period of time.
I would like to get away from using my JL 1000/1 but if these little guys really do suck then I could mount a smaller or even an acutal shallow mount mount woofer, or two, under the seat(s) as I have about 5 inches of height along with about 16" wide and long to play with.
Any suggestions?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
In that small an enclosure you could easily fit something like an RE SL-10.
Support the12volt.com
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone heard the JL Audio 13TW5? After playing with WinISD I think I'm going to have to go down to my local JL dealer and see if they have any I can listen to.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

Why not consider a lightweight sub box? I have a couple here that are made of aluminum and have tuneable ports in them. Not cheap mind you but they are way lighter than a conventional mdf box.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bb 12 man 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey forbidden, Sorta interested in those alum boxes. What cubic ft are they and all that kinda information could you pm sometime so we can talk about them
How far up your ass does your head go??? Clay Cole
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
This help?
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1502
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

www.whack.ca

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Wow.  Those are very nice.  Are they extruded, Rob?
Support the12volt.com
bb 12 man 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2008 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks forbidden those are really nice. I will have to see what the girlfriend wants to do.

How far up your ass does your head go??? Clay Cole
remarkable53 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2008 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
  I sell the JL Audio 13TW5 13.5 Subwoofers and they are incredible.  JL has done their homework and of all the shallow woofers on the market these are head and shoulders above any I have ever heard.  The 13TW5 requires a sealed enclosure of 0.80 cu. ft. which is about the size of the box that it comes in.  It has a 7" voice coil and though a power greedy little pig it rocks in vehicles and locations that 2 years ago I thought were unimaginable to add subs.  A little pricey but from the feedback I am recieving from my customers it more than lives up to it's hype.  Good luck.
remarkable53
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic