icon

saving presets

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackimpala 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Reading another forum they mentioned using a 9 volt battery plugged into the lighter receptical to save the radio presets when disconnecting the battery, no other information on this. Is this possible? Can someone tell me how to hook this up?
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
You will need a 9 volt battery and battery leads from Radio Shack. Get a lighter plug replacement with leads which come off with marked positive and negative and solder the battery leads by polarity to the wires coming off plug.
I have heard of this but never tried it. It seems like it should work but on some vehicles it may not. If the lighter is not showing voltage if the car is off, it may not work. You can give it a try and let us know how it works.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2008 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
It works but if you plan on doing it more than once I would recommend a cigarette ligher adapter you can buy Here
blackimpala 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replys. My only concern is when I plug in the lighter adapter I will be putting 12 volts into a 9 volt battery. Do I need diodes in it? What size? Or do I even need to worry about it?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Why not write them down before you disconnect power?
blackimpala 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
On my unit there is allot more than just station presets It controls my Ipod has graphics and other stuff. Its pretty complicated so if I could I would rather save them.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
If you are concerned about the 9volt battery on the 12volt battery, you could get 2 cigarette lighter plugs and wire them together with enough wire to reach a second vehicle, plug one end into your car and the other end into another car.  If the other car has a lighter that is hot all the time, it will be fine, if the other car's lighter is not hot all the time, remember to turn the key on in that car.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

The cigarette lighter and the radio back up power MUST be on the same circuit for this to work.

For example, Nissans require the key to be on before the cigarette lighter / power port will work.  If your cigarette lighter isn't on all the time you'll need to turn the key to the ACC position and plug the battery in before disconnecting power.

I think a 9 volt battery will be fine at 12vdc for a short period of time - I wouldn't leave it there for hours at a time, but a minute or so it will be OK.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic