icon

single jl audio w6v2: 10 or 12?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys im wanting to get a JL Audio W6: either a 10" or 12" but i dont know which one! Either one will be powered by the JL Audio 500/1v2 amplifier.

I listen to every type of music(literally) so i need a sub size that will be the most versitile. I am all about sound quality over SPL, if it gets loud i wont complain but im all about SQ first.

One thing that puts me towards the 10" is the tightness and bass response. This is just a quick example that I could find about the "double bass pedal" sound that I would like to sound clean that i think the 10" would be better...at 5 seconds and at 15 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSglL21Rw4Y

One thing that puts me towards the 12" is that it will most likely give a deeper, louder sound...but again im not into trying to shake other peoples cars at a stoplight.

Thanks for the help!

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
saying 10s are "tighter and quicker" than 12s is a fallacy.
It has a lot to do with enclosure and installation. Having very weak midbass can make the bass sound sloppy.
My old school 12W6 keeps up with everything from quadruple double bass.
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
saying 10s are "tighter and quicker" than 12s is a fallacy.
It has a lot to do with enclosure and installation. Having very weak midbass can make the bass sound sloppy.
My old school 12W6 keeps up with everything from quadruple double bass.

On another forum someone said that the bass in the w7 series has a more noticable difference between the 10" and 12"

I am going to make a custom fiberglass enclosure that will be a sealed enclosure though.

Whats the difference between the 10" and 12" then if they are both the same tightness then?

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2008 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

One will play certain frequencies with more authority. The ten is more capable of higher out put at slightly higher frequencies, where the twelve will have slightly more output at lower frequencies relative to each other.

BUT, your enclosure will play a tremendous part in either direction. Too small a box for that twelve, and the ten will out perform the twelve.

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:

in either direction. Too small a box for that twelve, and the ten will out perform the twelve.

I am very good at making the exact enclosure size for fiberglass enclosures so i think I will be good there.

When you say that, are you meaning they both perform equally, but if the 12 was in a too small of box, the 10 would sound better? or do you mean overall the 12 is better but if its in too small of a box, the 10 will sound better?

Thanks for the discussion so far

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

Overall the twelve is going to have more output, but I mention the box size as an example if you are limited on space. So yes you are correct that if the ten has the proper air space as opposed to a starved twelve, the ten will probably sound better. I feel that this comparison can digress rather quickly as opinions and preferences become dominant over fact and experience. (not directed at any one, just past experience).

Perhaps you can audition these speakers with your music?

If it were my choice I would go with the larger of the two, as I have come to terms that I like my music to be bass heavy, besides I can always turn it down.

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

Perhaps you can audition these speakers with your music?

I was thinking about doing that tomorrow; I will ask if I can do it right after they close though; some of the music I want to test can be "questionable" so i dont want to offend any of their customers(its a pretty high-end store, someone said its one of the best in the country to get work done with regard to audio).

Now I get that the 12" can have more output at a lower frequency...i just have to decide if i want that or if I want higher frequencies with more volume/authority with the 10".

With a proper size box, would it be safe to say that the JL 500/1 and JL W6v2 would be a "very good match" for sound quality?

dwarren 
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
silentblackhat wrote:

With a proper size box, would it be safe to say that the JL 500/1 and JL W6v2 would be a "very good match" for sound quality?

I would say so, given the rest of your system is up to par and tuned accordingly.

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:
silentblackhat wrote:

I would say so, given the rest of your system is up to par and tuned accordingly.

Currently my sound system consists of  just a cd player and 2 rear alpine type-r coaxials lol BUT.....

My car's system is "under construction" right now. The finished result will be:

Alpine CDA-8907 Cd Player, (front)Alpine Type-R Components powered by the Alpine MRV-T320 amp(i am building fiberglass door panels for these), (rear) Alpine type-r coaxials(just powered by the head unit) and then JL W6v2 and JL 500/1v2. already dynamatted the front doors(might put a little more on though), the rear deck and trunk

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic