icon

subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cb7green 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

whats up to everyone at 12volt. i'm new to this and i was wondering if someone can help me. i wanna buy 2  rockford fosgate P3D212 daul voice coils 1000w peak 500w rms. what i wanna know is would i need an amp thats 1000w rms or 500w rms to push this bad boys? thank for the help

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

Ideally you would want an amp that is capable of delivering 1000 watts at your final ohm load, so that each woofer will receive 500 watts. Certainely you could use a 500 watt amp but, those subs would be happier with 400-500 watts a piece. If I am not mistaken those are 2 ohm dual voice coil woofers which will yield a 2 ohm load if wired in a series/parallel, so be sure to get an amp capable of 1000 watts @ 2 ohms, pretty standard for most class D sub amps.

Disregard "peak power" ratings. They will not apply to you.

cb7green 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info now that i remember the subs are DV 4 ohm which i will wire to the 1 ohm load with the rockford amp P1000 1000w rms at 1 ohm stable. does that sound about right or am i gonna push them to hard. thanks again
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

cb7green wrote:
thanks for the info now that i remember the subs are DV 4 ohm which i will wire to the 1 ohm load with the rockford amp P1000 1000w rms at 1 ohm stable. does that sound about right or am i gonna push them to hard. thanks again

The issue now, is whether or not that amp is 1 ohm stable. If it is, then so be it, but be prepared for head light light dimming and excessive heat.

cb7green 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
do you think a 1 farad cap and 160 amp on the alternater will take care or the dimming lights. maybe a small coolin fan to the amp
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
Skip the cap spend the money on the alternator.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have used that exact same set up in several customer vehicles so far and they have been good everytime. As said before, screw the cap just get the alt, and for the record I have not had any thermal issues so far with those amps running one ohm.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
cb7green 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2008 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

everyone is telling me that the Rockford P1000-1bd with a pair rockford P3D412 wired at 1 ohm will make the amp to hot. is this true? Please help i do have the amp but i havent picked up the subs yet. so i can pick the P3D212 or P3D412.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic