icon

amplifier for my subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swargy 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2008 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
First I'll just tell you about my system so then you have a general understanding of what I have/had. I won't list things that wouldn't affect my problem.
I have 2 12" infinity Kappa Perfect subs 12.1DVC subs 4 ohm. I used JL audio 4 gauge power/ground which goes to a distribution block and I have 8 guage power/ground going to the amps. I was using a Kenwood KAC-7252 amp. It said it was capable at 250Wx2 @ 2 ohms. I had the voice coils wired in parallel so that means that each sub was 2 ohmsand they were ran to their own channel, so the amp could handle this. which the amp could handle.
so now that you have a general understanding of the setup I now have 2 questions.
1. Is each voice coil getting 250W/the sub getting 500W or is the sub just getting 250W.
2. My Kenwood amp just blew out. I wasn't playing the music loud at all and the song had little to no bass. When I took the amp apart I saw that there were mosfets all around the amp and on one section of the amp 4 mosfets pretty much blew up and there were burn marks all around them. What would make this happen?
Now my next question... I was wondering what amp I should get now and how I should wire it.
I have looked around and I have found a couple amps I like. I will list the reasons why I like/dislike them
1. Another Kenwood amp similar to my old one (cheap but I don't trust them much since my other one went bad)
2. Fosgate p500-2 (moderately priced, decent amp, same power as old one and don't have to change wiring)
3. Fosgate t600-2 (better amp, getting a little more expensive, more power)
4. Fosgate T10001bd (Best amp(out of the 4), a lot of power, expensive, class bd)
5. Other ones you guys might suggest.
I really don't want to spend $450 on an a, which is the cost of the T10001bd online, but that amps looks very nice. I would most likely run the voice coils in parallel and then run the subs in series to the amp that way I'd be getting 500W from the amp. Also if I ever upgrade I could easily pull 1000 W from the amp. Or should I just run the amp at 1000W? I'm guessing that that much power is too much for my subs though.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
I was also looking at some fosgate amps. Maybe the t5002 or the t600-2.
and also how should I wire it? If I did get another kenwood or some cheaper amp I would probably just wire it the same way unless that way is wrong. If I got the t5002 I would need to find a way to get 1ohm for each sub since the amp is 250wx2 @ 1 ohm and if I got the t600-2 then I can get 300 watts to each sub with each sub at 2 ohm since it is 300wx2 @ 2 ohm.
I think all that is correct but if it isn't let me know. And if you guys suggest any other amp please let me know. I want to keep it under $300 on ebay. that pretty much means under $650 retail.
EDIT: I was also looking at the p500-2 but that one doesn't look very good. So I decided to look at the T10001bd. Since this is only mono how would I wire it and what kind of power should I expect to see? I'm guessing this might be a little too much money for me but if this is what I need then maybe I'll get it. Also I'm guessing it might be a little too much power but it would allow me to easily upgrade later. EDIT EDIT: it looks like it is 2 4ohm voice coils on my sub.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 4:57 AM / IP Logged  
Each voice coil was seeing 125 watts, the way you had it wired on the Kenwood amp. The amp went out because you were thinking that there was 250 or 500 watts per voice coil and it just sounded weak to you. Your response to the amp was to turn it up some more, looking for that magic 500 W/Voice Coil. Whatever amp you do decide to purchase needs to make whatever power you desire at either a 4 ohm mono load or a 1 ohm mono load. Those are the 2 possible wiring configurations with the speakers you have. I am not real sure, but I think some of the amps you mentioned as your choices are not capable of running a 1 ohm load, and some will only make half power into a 4 ohm load.
swargy 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
thanks.
I thought power was like voltage with parallel circuits. Where the power is the same but then with series it will halve. so I thought that 250W was going to each voice coil which adds up to 500W.
the fosgate t1001bd amp has these specs.
500 W x 1 @ 4 Ohms
750 W x 1 @ 2 Ohms
1000 W x 1 @ 1 Ohm
So from reading what you posted the 1000 W x 1 @ 1 Ohm is my best bet because then each sub is getting 500W and each coil is getting 250W. And to get 1 ohm I would have to wire everything in parallel.
Could you please let me know how power works with parallel and series circuits. From the sound of it, it doesn't matter what circuit you are dealing with, it will always decrease. I guess so because P=VI and with series circuits voltage decreases but with parallel current decreases. Correct me if I'm wrong
thanks.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2008 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct about both assumptions, in a series circuit both, or all devices see the same amount of current, but there is a voltage drop at each device.  Like resistances have like voltage drop.  On a parallel circuit, all devices see the same amount of voltage, but they share the current available.  Like resistances have like current draw.  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic