icon

08 silverado system advise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
osc@r 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2008 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys i was just looking for some advise on a setup i wana put in my new 08 chevy silverado crew cab. I want to keep the factory radio just add sub and mids im fairly new to all this and with this truck being new I want to be sure of what im doing.

I was planing to build a sealed box for one 12 got my eyes on the mearlon mewo-m5-15dvc since i dont have alot of space under my rear seat only wanted to do ine 12 set up the specks on this woofer is 1200 rms- 4000 max and recomended air space 1 square foot does that sound any good?

on the amp also wanted to go with the same brand only consearning easues are will it sound any good and do i need some kind of adaptor to hook up the amp to the factory radio? also heard that the newer model vehicels are different in the wiring will i be able to run my amp power wire straight to the batt?

any advise or ideas are welcome

osc@r 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2008 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

by the way my truck is the non bose

any sujestions welcome.

fiberglasslvr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
what i would do is if you are going to switch out everything but the factory radio i would use an oem intergrator such as a jl cleansweep, rockford 3sixty,or an audiocontrol. so that you can get a nie clean signal to your amps. as far as wiring the truck you can run power as normal but you will have to get your amp turn-on from the ign harness. if you are not going to amp your mids and highs you should be able to just use a line output converter to get a signal to your subs.
osc@r 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2008 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  

fiberglass i really appreciate your input;

the only thing now is deciding what sub to go with since i wana get a big sub like 3 to 4 thousand whats and the shallow mount ive seen wont give you that power and the regular subs ive seen are too tall

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2008 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

good luck finding a shallow sub that's 3 to 4 thousand watts....and then finding an amp that would send that much power......honestly you're looking for something that you probably won't find!!

you'll probably get  the bump you're looking for in a 400 to 500 watt RMS setup!  it sounds like a lot less but it really is a lot.....i'm getting about 360 watts RMS from my rockford 301m and its bumps plenty hard!  But.....to each his own!

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

Your choice on the merlon won't work without major modifications to the rear seats.  It's too deep.  For a shallow sub you can go with either two Rockford thin mounts or for some serious sounding bass, try the JL Audio TW5 13.5" subs.  They are 1200 watts in peak power handling, 600W continuous and only take a sealed box of .8 ft^3.

As for using the factory headunit, you don't need a clean-sweep, 3sixty.1, or any other processors.  Even if you have the Bose system, you can get a clean, line level out of the factory head unit.

For your system without the Bose, you can just use line-level adaptors and you'll be fine.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2008 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't recommend using a subwoofer or anything for that matter from a company that puts the magnet size in red bolding, and puts the peak power and hides the rms power handling. Sounds to me like this company is a less known Boss/Legacy/Pyramid junk brand.
If your going to be replacing your factory stereo with aftermarket equipment, you should get something that BETTER than the factory equipment, not worse.
The JL TW5 as listed above will hammer the snot out of you, they are really that good. For amps, im going to assume you want something small, I would recommend looking at the Alpine PDX series amps, they are tiny.
Have you had a chance to demo any speakers locally to find a sound you like?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
osc@r 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys apreciate the coments and i was actualy lookin at the kicker comp vt 10 i think that puting two of those under my rear seat would be better since they only need min .8 cubic ft and are 400 rms 800 peak (sugestions?)

my other question will be what other method is there to mount  the amps behind the seat  since i will prefer not to drill too many holes into my truck

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2008 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

The JL Audio TW5 will definitely kill those two Kickers.  But some people just can't pony up to the JL.

You can still mount the amp to the rear wall.  I sometimes use a peice of 1" MDF, and I'll "liquid nail" it to the back, or glue it with silicone.  Takes more time as you have to get to the metal behind the seat, and you have to wait for the glue/silicone to set up.  One major downside is that you can't get to the amp easily if you need to tune it.  For under-seat dual 10" boxes I build, the amp mounts in between the two subwoofers.  But if you decide to get a TW5, you'll have half the floor space open to mount an amp to the floor, under the rear seats.

osc@r 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
apreciate the input guys i think im going to go check out the jl subs this weekend see if im able to hear them and decide 08 silverado system advise -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic