icon

no sound to sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullseye753 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

just finished building my box today.. and installed my new alpine h/u.. everything played fine.. wired my amp up.. it powered.. but no sound to my sub.. any ideas?

speaker wire should be fine.. could it be my rca's? do they have to match up in regards to left/right on the amp as they do in the preouts.. i tried different combos.. nothing worked.  it also says its a front/sub preout.. do i have to designate which one i want somehow through the h/u?

thanks for any help

still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
i alaways match the left and rights up cause you cant put a fire out while your driving.either the speaker could be blown the gain isnt up or the rcas need to be pushed all the way in. double check all your wiring take the rca out plug a new one in see what happends.  then go from radio to amp wiring amp to sub. check the inside of the box too
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
still_walkin wrote:
i alaways match the left and rights up cause you cant put a fire out while your driving.either the speaker could be blown the gain isnt up or the rcas need to be pushed all the way in. double check all your wiring take the rca out plug a new one in see what happends. then go from radio to amp wiring amp to sub. check the inside of the box too
The rca's for sub have no polarity, left or right backwards should not make the sub not work. That also won't cause a fire, unless you screwed up the wiring job to power connections somehow. I advise you to first start checking fuses first. Then your connection to ground and then the audio output from amp to make sure you hooked up to the output and not a high level input by mistake. Then look at rca's just being firmly plugged in and to the correct plug on radio.
Use a dmm and test for resistance (ohms) at the box connection(s) and make sure the connections had not come apart.
If you have checked these then it may be an issue with the amp, radio or sub.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Also people when wiring power and ground and remote wires they use all the same wire colors and its easy to mismatch a wire. That's what I ment from the fire
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
Usually people don't use the same wire color, unless they are an amature installer with little or no experience. Even when I started to install back in 1992, I never used a single color wire for power, ground and remote. I figured that it was common sense to use different colors.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
True but some people don't have commom sense not sayin this guy doesn't I don't know him I'm just trying to cover all bases to help him wit his sub. So any updates on your problem
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
yes, i tried different rca's and made sure they were connected properly and still no sound.. i took the sub out of the box and connected it straight to the amp to rule out the terminal cup and still nothing.. i did notice though that when i turn the 'level' on the amp closer to .2v rather than 9v i get a very small vibration from the sub
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
What happens if you turn the gain all the way to the .2volt setting?   How many voice coils does the woofer have?
bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think it changes.. its a kicker l5.. so dvc
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure that you have the voice coils wired properly?  Try connecting only one voice coil to see if it plays like that.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic