icon

no sound to sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Set the meter to the AC volts scale,  with the music playing touch and hold the black meter lead to the negative speaker terminal of the amp.  Now touch and hold the red meter lead to the positive speaker connection of the amp.  The reading will jump around a lot, just let me know what the highest reading was.  Let it play for 20 seconds or so.    If you get no reading there, unplug the RCA jack from the amp and touch and hold the black meter lead to the shield (the outer ring) of the RCA cable.  Now touch and hold the red lead to the center conductor of the cable.   This reading is probably going to be in the Millivolt range.   Notice the highest reading you get here too.  Post the results. 
bullseye753 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
ok i got no readings from either..
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Do you own a MP3 player?
You can test amp input with one. Get a cable that has RCA plugs on one end and a headphone plug on the other. Plug correct end into proper place and play some music with volume low on MP3 player. That way you can rule out the head unit outputs being defective.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
wow good call.. it plays.. so its the rca's on the alpine
techman93 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
So all that to diagnose the head unit has defective outputs. Hope the deck is under warranty.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
so do i.. thanks for all the help guys
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
I highly doubt that the new alpine deck is your problem. What model is the deck?   Do you have some expensive cool looking RCA cables? If so I would start troubleshooting there. Also check in the menu to make sure the subwoofer is turned on. Or try another RCA jack on the radio. Not going to say it can't happen, but I find it odd to have a defective Alpine radio right out of the box.
bullseye753 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
yes i tried a whole new pair of rca's and draped them over the seat to make sure there was no pinches.. its the new ida-x300... i have the subwoofer setting turned on too.. i found it hard to believe at first too but then i came to the realization that i bought it off ebay and that kinda stuff happens
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

If the unit has multiple RCA jacks, and you are not using one of the other sets, try connecting the front or rear to the sub amp.   You may want to perform the test at the top of this page, this is not a common problem with Alpine decks, but it could have happened to yours.  If it tests ok with the meter, do not waste your time with the fix.

http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html

techman93 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
It may be possible it has a sub out that can be turned on or off in the menu settings.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic