icon

trunk solenoid wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rt4x4 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to be adding a trunk release solenoid to a 98 grand am with a viper 571 xv, what i was wanting to know is the best way to wire the relay, to hook up to the viper
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Use a relay, RED / white aux 1 from alarm to 85, 86 and 87 to 12v+ fused  at 15amps, 30 to solenoid. Just to be clever, use a momentary switch, push type, one side to ground, other side join to  85 on relay, suggest a diode across relay between 85 and 86, with band towards 86. PS the first part should be in your installation guide.
fuzion1029 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
What's the purpose of the diode? Just curious.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 17, 2008 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Solder a red wire to terminal 86 of a relay. Solder a black wire to terminal 85 of the relay. Now hold your index finger on one terminal and your thumb on the other. Have a friend touch the other end of those wires to the respective terminals of your battery. Now have him remove and replace one of those wires. He may have to do it several times in a quick manner for you to get the full effect. The pain that you feel is the voltage spike that occurs anytime an electromagnet is turned off. As you could imagine that voltage spike is not liked by a lot of the electrical equipment in your vehicle. The diode eliminates this spike. It doesn't hurt real bad. Go ahead try it. No really it doesn't. It's only 12 volts how could it shock you?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2008 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  
Craig, once again you prove the contradiction in your name, that's the best practical explanation of coil onrush after shutdown I've EVER SEEN. trunk solenoid wiring -- posted image.          Wonderful!  Of course in 1973 or thereabouts, I learned this the hard way!  What a kick!  The other nice one is to pull the plug on an old syle cathode ray TV, wait a few secs then run your hand between the tube and the LOPT now you know what a capacitor (condensor) does.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 18, 2008 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

Morning Howie,  I'll hold the relay all day long, but I am not touching the big red wire with the suction cup on the end of it.  I'm not gonna do it.  I wonder how many of them are going to try the relay thing because they just know that 12 volts won't shock them?  If anybody tries it, let us know the results.  If they are scared to try it, maybe they can get a friend to hold the relay and they can man the battery. 

rt4x4 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  
OK I am a little confused on which way the relay should be wired i the way above correct or this  https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp   the second diagram, also there is another post that says 85and87 to 12 volt ,86 remote start and 30 to trunk which is right or does it matter?
fuzion1029 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  
it doesn't matter. 85 and 86 are the coil which is non polarized so no matter which way you hook up voltage to it, it will trigger the relay. think of 87 and 30 as a regular old switch, either way you hook that up (for this application), when you trigger the relay, it closes the switch giving the solenoid 12V.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Check my first post you were shown how to then, conventions:- fuzion 1029 is essentially right but European convention, ie the vehicle manufacturers always made 86 the + side of the coil and I always stuck with it. Of course 30 and 87 are interchangeable but only when the relay is used as a switch, if you use the 5 pin including 87a as a changeover, then 30 becomes the common (output) thus for ease of signing, 30 is the (switched) output and 87 is the input.
fuzion1029 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Not to confuse the OP, but howie, it all depends on which way you're using the relay for 30, 87, and 87a. If you're switching between two inputs, then your way would be correct, but if you want to switch one input between two other things, then it would be reversed. It just all depends on how you're using the relay. I do agree with the standard convention of 85 being (-) and 86 being (+) though. It's always good to be consistent.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic