< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ira1947 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

Having a remote start issue,

I have a viper 571xv hooked up to a 2000 explorer,

The remote starter isnt.....sending the signal to start.  I hit the remote start button and nothing happens.

I tried doing the diagnostic thing with the LED on the 571 brain, and its not giving me any blinks to tell me why its not engaging.

I have all wires hooked up to where I think they go, but maybe i need to hook up the factory disarm wires as I didnt hook those up yet?  

I thought I would get a crank or some lights or somethin, but nothing happens. 

I have the tach at PCM 48, and the brain learned it, LED lit up constant.  

PINK/WHITE (+) OUTPUT TO SECOND IGNITION/ACCESSORY CIRCUIT

RED / WHITE HIGH CURRENT 12V INPUT

PINK (+) OUTPUT TO IGNITION CIRCUIT

RED (+) (30A) HIGH CURRENT 12V INPUT

ORANGE (+) OUTPUT TO ACCESSORY CIRCUIT

RED (+) (30A) HIGH CURRENT 12V INPUT

GREEN STARTER INPUT FROM IGNITION (KEY SIDE)

PURPLE (+) STARTER OUTPUT TO STARTER (STARTER SIDE)

Yellow Ignition Switch Harness 
StarterRED / Light Blue Ignition Switch Harness 
IgnitionLight GREEN/ Purple Ignition Switch Harness 
Ignition 2Gray / YELLOW Ignition Switch Harness 
Ignition 3BLACK/ Green Ignition Switch Harness 
AccessoryGray / YELLOW Ignition Switch Harness 

Ive got 4 yellows, and was getting 12+ from all of em, so I tapped a yellow for Power.

Ive got PURPLE to RED / light blue, starter side.

I put green to switch side.

Ive got 2 REDS from the relay sateelite dealio, 1 I hooked to yellow...Do I need to have BOTH REDS hooked from the 571xv?

Ive got Orange ACC to Gray Yellow. (someone said there is 2 gray / YELLOWs on the explorer, and you could use either one, so I picked one.....)

Ive got PINK  IGN  to Light GREEN/ purple

RED / white not hooked up

2nd fused red not hooked up

pink/white not hooked up from 571xv.

So, My questions are....  do I need the pink/white hooked up to another IGN/ACC?  Do I need BOTH fused reds hooked up to power?   Lastly, do I need to make a relay for the factory disarm or not.....

Anyone wanna mess around and help me get this gas hog started.....Id extremely appreciate it!

Thanks.

I can post pictures if that will help too....

Compustar 2wss
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
The BLACK/ white neutral safety input needs to see ground before the system will crank.
You need all the red power wires supplying the Viper hooked up.
You may or may not need all of the accessory/ignition wires hooked up to the vehicle. To determine if you need the other wires hooked up after you remote start it, make sure all warning/indicator lights in the dash extinguish (ABS, SRS, etc) and ensure the blower motor and A/C compressor come on while remote started. If everything is working then you do not need the others. Use relays if you need to add any additional circuits, activated by the low current outputs from the Viper.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
ira1947 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I took my seat out, and Im noticing my AIRBAG light is blinking a 3 - 6 pattern.  But I think this light is on because I took out my seat. 

Okay, Im gonna try hooking up ALL REDS from the Viper and see if that works. 

I have 4 yellows coming from the Ignition Harness, and I think they are all 12v.

Are all Yellows the same on the explorer?  

Are all reds on viper 571xv  for power IN?   I think they are, but I cant understand why there is 3 Power In's on the Vipe relay satellite thingr. 

As far as relays, I do not know where to install them for this Explorer, or what wires to attach them to make it work. 

As far as I know, the only relay I would "need"  is to install one for starter kill, wich I dont want to do.  

I will try to ground that BLACK/ white neutral safety wire. 

Thanks. 

Compustar 2wss
ira1947 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

I see Neutral safety wire is RED / blue but no lacation of this wire......can I use the RED / blue off the ign harness? 

Ill check for voltage in gear  tomorow, but I thought maybe someone would know, thanks......

Compustar 2wss
ira1947 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

OKAY EXCELLENT!  woot that neutral safety wire was preventing the remote start from working......thanks twelvolts!  

got it to start and work!  But I grounded that BLACK/ white wire.

Could someone please tell me where that RED / blue neutral wire is on a 2000 explorer? 

Thanks again guys, and have a great weekend!

Compustar 2wss
ira1947 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  

Dang I cant find the EDIT button sorry.....

But, I've noticed to remote-start this 571xv unit, I have to hit remote start button TWICE? Is this normal?

On my compustar I hit that button II once......

Is that normal?    I press once and nothing, but I press it twice and she starts to jiggle and shake lol. 

Compustar 2wss
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
You cannot edit until you have enough posts in the forum.
OK, gonna try to answer and not miss anything:
There are multiple inputs to the Viper to supply enough power to the multiple ignition/accessory/starter circuits the vehicle requires. You don't want to have 60 amps of output being supplied by a single 30 amp input.
I believe your Explorer's neutral safety wire is electronic, not mechanical so grounding the BLACK/ white should not cause a problem. For example, older GM trucks used a mechanical neutral safety switch, which would stop the key from powering the starter while in gear but would not prevent it starting if you supplied your own power to the starter wire in the ignition harness while the truck was in gear. With the DEI systems I normally use the provided small toggle switch with one end to ground and the other to the BLACK/ white neutral safety switch input, this way if you wanted to shut down the remote start all you need to do is flip the switch.
Yes the 2 presses of the remote button is the default DEI configuration, it helps prevent accidentally remote starting the vehicle. You can program this to be 1,2 or 3 pulses, take a look at feature 2-8 of the programming menu (activation pulses) and change it to what you want.
The relays I referred to would be required if any of the indicator lights came on, or the A/C compressor, or blower motor do not activate when the vehicle is running on remote start. Once you have everything hooked up, if everything is working like you had started it with the key then you should not need any extra relays.
To the multiple yellows in the ignition harness question, just like the DEI unit has multiple inputs for multiple outputs, the same applies to the vehicle.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
ira1947 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the great reply.

I bought the 571 brand new, had the N switch in the box. Tried wiring it with the N switch to the RED / Blue ig harness, didn't work. It  wanted to start for 1/2 a sec, then died.   Voltmetered that same wire before I tried it, seemed like it would work.  Blue/red and in gear, was dropping the volts to 0, in park or n went back up, but, not enough ground I guess.  

So I grounded the BLACK/ white off the 571, worked perfectly. Haven't tried it in gear yet, but I will see if it will start, highly doubtable though, cause just like you said, the dei manual said also GM vehicles are like that.

I really like the 2 press for R-Start now, yep, again like you said, it helps for accidental button presses, I like that.

And that parking light flash when R started, I hated that.  Option 2-4, had to switch it to constant.  But now I think about it its kinda a nice signal to let you know your vehicle is running.  Just seemed like it was stressing that parking light relay with all that clicking.  

I spread the power out between 2 of the 4 Yellows in the Ig Harness.  I wanted to chase down what amp those yellows I used were, but y'know........it works. 

All finalized, right out of the box, no extras, or relays needed, well besides a 25$ 555 PATS bypass thingie, I got one of those keyless ones, once i put that 'lil sensor in the right spot for that PATS key, (top of the cylinder worked good for me)  she started right up.  You shouldve seen my cheeser grin when I heard that starter stop cranking.  I bet you pro's lost that little smile after the job is done over time eh, but I'm sure alot of the work you guys do are satisfying.

All done with alot of help from this website.  Thanks for keeping this place up n' running.  

Compustar 2wss

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic