icon

mecp advanced

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil evo 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

So I was recently promoted to the senior installer spot at a local Best Buy trying to fill some really big shoes, and I'm working on getting my MECP Advanced cert by the end of next month. I took the practice test and I've got some questions that I figured I'd ask, and hopefully someone on here will be able to help me out. I've searched both this site and done some digging around google, and I'm still having some trouble finding info.

So one of the questions that I missed was regarding speaker mounting. The quesiton was wording like this;

"Which mounting condition will cause a speaker's front wave to be out of phase with the back wave resulting in destructive interference?"

the answer was an unbaffled mounting, but I can't seem to find any information on what an unbaffled mount is! Anybody care to share?

There will be more questions, I figured I'd start with this one though.

davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
lil evo wrote:

So I was recently promoted to the senior installer spot at a local Best Buy trying to fill some really big shoes, and I'm working on getting my MECP Advanced cert by the end of next month. I took the practice test and I've got some questions that I figured I'd ask, and hopefully someone on here will be able to help me out. I've searched both this site and done some digging around google, and I'm still having some trouble finding info.

So one of the questions that I missed was regarding speaker mounting. The quesiton was wording like this;

"Which mounting condition will cause a speaker's front wave to be out of phase with the back wave resulting in destructive interference?"

the answer was an unbaffled mounting, but I can't seem to find any information on what an unbaffled mount is! Anybody care to share?

There will be more questions, I figured I'd start with this one though.

im not mecp certified nor have i ever studied for such test, but i have always conciderd the board that you make your holes on and attatch the speaker to as the *baffle board* so im guessing *unbaffled mount* would be a speaker that has no partitian between the back and front of the speaker?

life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2008 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
 davnger you are correct.......lil evo congratulations on your promotion
lil evo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks very much. I assumed it had something to do with there being no barrier, but I didn't know that there was actually a name for when someone just leaves a speaker chillin and tries to have it play. Lol, w/e. I've got a few more questions, but I don't have my copy of the practice test with me so I'll have to post them later. Thanks again.
lil evo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so here's another one. Question went like this;
"What is the correct method for installing Mu metal to block RFI in a source unit?"
Correct answer was to eclose the radio chasis with insulated Mu metal and ground it to one point of the car body.
So here's what I'm a little foggy on, what exactly is Mu metal? Obviously it kills radio frequency interference, but what is it exactly and how does it work?
Another question had to do with tools that measure the audio waveform of a preamp or speaker level output. Correct answer was an oscilloscope. I've never even seen one of these, much less used one. Anybody have any experience with an oscilloscope? If so, how often do you use it and more importantly, HOW do you use it?
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

First of all, those aren't questions for the Advanced MECP test.

Mu-metal is a copper, mesh-like material.  Good luck finding it.  Kinda like finding mounting brackets for an 8-track.

An Oscilloscope is a peice of electronic test equipment used in electronic testing.  99.9% of the time you'll not find one in a car audio bay.   You've probably seen them in electronic's labs for computer testing, electronic repair shops, etc.  They are used primarily in testing high frequency electronics such as cell phone sites, computer engineering and the such.  You can use them in the audio world as it will show you the actual signal on it's display.

lil evo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Gah, figures that Best Buy's practice test would have stuff on there that I'll never use. More questions to come later when I'm feeling motivated. Thanks again.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2008 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
If any one is interested I have mounting brackets for several 8 tracks availible for immediate sale ;)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
lil evo wrote:
Gah, figures that Best Buy's practice test would have stuff on there that I'll never use. More questions to come later when I'm feeling motivated. Thanks again.
FYI: don't mind BBY's practice test. it's so out of date, not even funny anymore. if you haven't done it already, order the advanced MECP study book. the store will (should if you don't have a crap services manager) pay for it.
lil evo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
ya, my SSM has been out of the store for the past week so i havn't been able to order it. my old senior skeefed the book i was using to study when he left for Cincy.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic