icon

power door locks, 2001 mitsubishi galant

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mark 17 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2001 mirsubishi galant that want to put a mid to higher end alarm in but, the power door locks only work with the key in the ignition in the accessary position. one of the alarm options i want is keyless entry. Do i need to fix the locks befor attempting to put the alarm in ? I have put a viper alarm in my car years ago so I have basic understanding. thanks.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
You will need to either fix the problem or possibly add an additional relay to power the accesssory wire when either the lock or the unlock relay is energized.
mark 17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

In order to fix the door lock problem, Im trying to find out why I don't have a constant power wire to the door lock switch, the dome light or the stock radio ( which keeps locking up when the key is off).  I've checked all the fuses and they are good.  I've also written down all the color codes from the drivers door lock switch, dome light and radio to try to follow them back but, the colors don't quite match the wire diagrams in my haynes manual for the 2001 galant.  I definitely want to find better wiring diagrams for this car.  Am i on the right track by looking for a constant power? anything helps, thanks

mark 17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Am i not posting my question in the right place ?  my first question was answered here and i looked forword to some guidance with this power problem.  is there a better way to ask questions.
*Edit* Topic moved from Forum Help to Car Security and Convenience.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
Have you looked at engine bay fuse boxes as well?  Around this time they used 2 methods,  one was a relay mounted under dash on driver's side in a white plastic mounting, the second method was built in to the lower dash fuse box. If all else fails take the motor wires from one of the two positions and fire them directly from the alarm.
mark 17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input, I will look in those areas more closely.  i'd like to fix this problem before i go ahead with the alarm install.  I still have the issue of no power to the dome light and the stock stereo when the key is off, I think it could be a related issue.  do you know where I can find a better set of wiring diagrams to trock down wire colors and relay placement? thanks.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Dome light and radio memory are probably the same fuse or fusebox circuit, if the fuses are intact have you physically tested them? Forget theory, test. If more than one fuse, they are not blown but no power getting to them, you will have to assume a break inside the fusebox, you will then find the battery feed in, probably white and fuse the output wires seperately.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Try AllDataDIY for general wiring/repair information on your vehicle. $12.95 or so for a 1 year subscription.
Mitchell also offers a DIY shop info service, but I can't remember the name.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
mark 17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys this will give me a direction to head in.

mark 17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2008 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help guys, the problem is fixed.  it was as simple as one 10 amp fuse under the hood that i must have missed the first time through.  now the door locks work properly, as well as the dome lights, stereo memory, trunk and vanity mirrors.

now i'm set and ready to go shopping for an alarm for my install.  i'd like something with remote start, pop trunk, possibly power windows and a long range for the remote.  the only higher end brands i'm familiar with are the clifford and viper.  any suggestions on some of the better chioces to look at before i buy?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic