kill taillight when reverse light is on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
metal_mulisha 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

Hey hows it goin all....

Im putting a set of custom 59 Cadillac LED Taillights in my truck. They have the typical 3 wires coming out of the back per lightsper each light. Ground, and the 2 12V connections for running lights & when brakes are applies.. Im runng 2 lights on each side. On top of that, Im running a pair of White HALO's im putting inside the light to use as Reverse Lights. 1 Per side. Does anyone know how I can hook up a couple relays, so basically, when I put the truck into Reverse, the lights that have the halos in them, lose all power & only the halos shine thru? Even when the brake light or turn signals are apprlied? And when I come out of reverse, all power is fully restored.  Thanks?

metal_mulisha 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

kill taillight when reverse light is on -- posted image.

Thats what they look like if anyones curious.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

That will be simple, but I have a question for you.  Do the lights pull double duty, meaning is it a blinker and a taillight?  If it is just a taillight we can do it with only one relay.  If they are blinkers you will have to use one relay per side.

kill taillight when reverse light is on -- posted image.

metal_mulisha 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the lights will act as both a turn signal / brake light & running light. So from the image, ur basically using the ground wire on the lamps am I correct. Thanks for the info on how to do this.
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

The only ground wire that you will be dealing with will be the right most connection on the relay.  This is the ground wire for the coil of the relay.  The wire on the left of the relay is a positive wire that comes from the reverse light wire.  This is the wire that trips the relay to break the connection of the taillight wire.        The wire coming out of the bottom of the lamp (in the picture) is the ground of the lamp.  The wire that goes out of the top of the relay is the tail/brake/blinker wire.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

metal_mulisha 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, I havnt checked yet, but what if theres 2 wires for the blinker tail etc...

And you said 1 relay per side, correct?

i am an idiot 
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Do you use your blinkers when backing up? Most people don't even use them while driving and turning or lane changing. Yes you will have to use one relay per side.
metal_mulisha 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

lol, no dont think I ever have.

But I think the brake lights are on the same circuit as the the signal ligt? Im not 100% sure tho yet. I will try the 1 Relay set up tho, I hope it all works out, once again I appeciate the help.

metal_mulisha 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

Okay so heres how it actually works... The Halo Lights have a small inverter box. With just power & ground & the 2 Halo lights plug into the inverter box. Then the taillights have 3 wires.. Ground and 2 Positives, 1 is the parking lamp, the other is signal & brake.. How do I use the relays in this case, do I only use 1 relay for both sides, or 1 on each side.. If the wiring is different now can you please show me how?

I guess, I really need the 1 relay to activate the inverter for the halos, and maybe one on the other side just to shut the lights off when put in reverse, if you can let me know, thanks....

i am an idiot 
Posted: August 13, 2008 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
If nobody helps you in the next few hours, I will look at it when I get back in.  Later tonight or in the morning.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic