icon

keep toasting 100 amp fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hookedonaudio 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
I switched out 2 Rockford HX2 4 ohm subs with 2 Rockford power series 2 ohm subs and now I keep popping 100 amp fuses when I turn up the music. The new subs I put in have 400 oz magnets and are also dual voice coil. I"ve already stepped up to a 130 amp alternator and have a red top optium in the trunk. If anyone could lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

What fuse is blowing, the one at the battery (under the hood) or the one(s) in the amp?

What is the model # of your sub amp?

You switched out from dual 4ohm subs to dual 2s. How did you have the old ones wired to the amp? How are the new ones wired to it?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
You did adjust the gains on your amp to accomodate the new load of the subs, right?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  

Do not put another fuse in the amp untill you at least tell us how you wired the speakers to the amp.  I can only assume that you put the 2 Ohm drivers in place of the 4 Ohm drivers without changing the wiring configuration.  If you had the 4 Ohm coils all paralleled, the amp was seeing a 1 Ohm load.  When you put the 2 Ohm drivers in, your amp is now seeing a 1/2 Ohm load.  It does not matter what procedure you used to set your gains. Nor does it matter if you have the gains all the way down.  If it is toasting 100 amp fuses there is a problem.  The fact that it is pounding way harder than it was with the 4 Ohm drivers, and the fact that it is now blowing fuses are signs that there is a problem.  Once again do not play this system untill you change something.  You will have to wire the voice coils of each speaker in series and then parallel the 2 woofers.  This will yield a 2 Ohm load.  It will not hit as hard as the 4 Ohm woofers did.  But it will hit longer than a day or 2.  And believe me a day or 2 is all your amp is going to last.

hookedonaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
I kept the wiring the same as it was and didnt make any changes. So the difference in the ohm load can actually blow the fuse(in line fuse)?       
    I"ll try to use the subwoofer wiring diagram and see if that will work. I really appreciate your feedback,I"ts great that people are out there that are willing to help the less car audio educated.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

Those magnets are WAY too big for a 100A fuse!

Haha, just kidding.

By cutting your ohm load in half your amp is now making twice as much power (theoretical power at least).

Amps are not magic and need power to make power.  So, if you were pulling 60A on your old setup and you double the power (ie cut the ohm load in half) you can assume your new power draw is close to 120A. 

Kevin Pierson
theterminator 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Remember that the in line fuse is too protect the wire from burning up. You might need to upgrade your power and ground to accomadate your added power.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot made a good point in that you need to make sure your amplifier is stable at the impedance and you are running it at.  I assumed since you already purchased your subs that you had already checked that. 
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
i am an idiot made a good point in that you need to make sure your amplifier is stable at the impedance and you are running it at.  I assumed since you already purchased your subs that you had already checked that. 

You would figure that either he or the shop that sold him the speakers would have investigated and sold him the proper speakers.  That doesn't happen often enough. 

If ever you go to purchase speakers, tell the salesman I need 4 12 inch woofers, what do you have?  If he just grabs woofers without asking you a few questions about your system, get a new salesman.  In order for you to get the most for your money, your woofers have to meet certain criteria.

hookedonaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
I am running a 2000 watt lanzar class d mono 1 ohm stable amp to my subs. i went and wired them according to the 12volt subwoofer wiring diagram and so far it"s not blowing the fuse anymore but the rockford power series subs aren"t hitting as hard as my Rockford HX2 4 ohm subs. The subs I have in now are 2000 watts max and 1000 watts RMS each,I have another 2000 watt amp but its a california profile 2 channel but it over heats and doesn"t put out as much as the Lanzar. Those subs are"t very efficient ,thats for sure, What amp do you think would push my subs hard and not cost more than my car is worth?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic