icon

digital capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldschool48 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

A lot of info but well taken.   The has a 115 amp Alternator and very little when it comes to electrical gadgets in the vehicle.   I totally understand the point of view that the capacitor will not be a supplement for the Alternator   just a stablelizer in some sence.    The 2 Amps that we have are fairly small (1200, 600) and don not draw a heck of a lot of amps.    I agree with everyone point that if not connected nor used properly it won't deliver what it's supposed to. 

Thank you all for the great amount of advise everyone has offered. 

Thanks Again

Jorge Bosque
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

... I have been resisting posting that there is no such thing as a "digital capacitor" but I will stop resisting.  I assume by this you mean either that is the name brand, or that it has some sort of digital voltage display?

A capacitor in a power system will do exactly what any capacitor would do: act as a small capacity voltage storage unit.  When used within their capabilities they do exactly what physics says they will do.  If they are intended to boost or supplement an inadequate electrical system, they will do more harm than good.  As long as the alternator has enough capacity for the system demands, a cap in a system can help smooth out any voltage fluctuations caused by transient demands and will enable an amplifier to maintain peak outputs more consistently.  They will not prevent dimming lights or overcome overloads on your alternator.  So as long as you are not expecting miracles, they do exactly what they are designed to do.

Did you ever get your installation questions answered?  If not, try HERE.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic