icon

fiberglass sub enclosures

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bobl 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone here have heard of Bassforms. They're supposedly the leading manufacture in fiberglass enclosures. I've been reading the beneifits of fiberglass and thinking of getting one fot hese. Check out their site at http://www.bassforms.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1 and let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2008 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

Ummm.......doesnt look like anything too special. I build these all the time and it looks like I should be charging more lol. I just prime them and send em out to a body shop of the customers chioce with the paint code or color they want. I guess if you dont mind the price there fine but you could probly get one made locally at a stereo shop for cheaper

Looks like the work of a guy on ebay awhile back

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
I've seen that site before. There work is okay, I agree that they are overpriced a bit. If the paint jobs were nicer I would understand but they look fairly basic.
What exactly are the "benefits" of a fiberglass enclosure? I mean they are better looking and can be shaped to fit tight spots easily but that is it. I don't know what advantage they would have over a regular MDF box.
I'll also second the idea of just getting a 'glass box made at a local shop if you can find one that does good work.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

We ordered a few of thier boxes and let's just say that I'm far beyond disappointed in my wasted money.  We ordered three boxes as an "opening" order that was supposed to include a display rack.  Eight months later: no display rack. 

First box was cracked, and when I contacted Bassforms I was told "well, fix it yourself."  Second box we ordered was for a JL 13.5" sub.  None of the 13.5" JL subs physically fit in the box.  The cutout diameter was too small by a 1/4 inch, and the outside trim ring was too small by the same amount.   We'll forget the fact that the air space inside the box was three times too big.

Third box was one with the "amp rack" built in.  There's no way to hide the wiring for the amp.  When I called to ask what other shops were doing they tell me that they usually don't use that spot for an amp, but they put lights/displays/video in that location.

Avoid them, and avoid a lot of headaches.

bobl 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
megaman wrote:

We ordered a few of thier boxes and let's just say that I'm far beyond disappointed in my wasted money. We ordered three boxes as an "opening" order that was supposed to include a display rack. Eight months later: no display rack.

First box was cracked, and when I contacted Bassforms I was told "well, fix it yourself." Second box we ordered was for a JL 13.5" sub. None of the 13.5" JL subs physically fit in the box. The cutout diameter was too small by a 1/4 inch, and the outside trim ring was too small by the same amount.   We'll forget the fact that the air space inside the box was three times too big.

Third box was one with the "amp rack" built in. There's no way to hide the wiring for the amp. When I called to ask what other shops were doing they tell me that they usually don't use that spot for an amp, but they put lights/displays/video in that location.

If the paint jobs were nicer I would understand but they look fairly basic.
bobl 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
megaman wrote:

We ordered a few of thier boxes and let's just say that I'm far beyond disappointed in my wasted money. We ordered three boxes as an "opening" order that was supposed to include a display rack. Eight months later: no display rack.

First box was cracked, and when I contacted Bassforms I was told "well, fix it yourself." Second box we ordered was for a JL 13.5" sub. None of the 13.5" JL subs physically fit in the box. The cutout diameter was too small by a 1/4 inch, and the outside trim ring was too small by the same amount.   We'll forget the fact that the air space inside the box was three times too big.

Third box was one with the "amp rack" built in. There's no way to hide the wiring for the amp. When I called to ask what other shops were doing they tell me that they usually don't use that spot for an amp, but they put lights/displays/video in that location.

sorry, please ignore the previous post, i copy/pasted by accident. Anyway..what happen to the lifetime warranty? how long ago were these purchases. They're suppose to be the most rigid/sturdy boxes in the market which helps make the bass sound crisp...hmm
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
bobl wrote:
megaman wrote:

sorry, please ignore the previous post, i copy/pasted by accident. Anyway..what happen to the lifetime warranty? how long ago were these purchases. They're suppose to be the most rigid/sturdy boxes in the market which helps make the bass sound crisp...hmm
Sorry if I am wrong but you sound more and more like you work for bassforms. I can't help but to think that you are trying to promote them.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2008 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
I second that. Haha
My boxes are also the most rigid and make the bass you'll ever hear and make hot women want to date you. Buy my box.
fcss 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2008 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
bass forms were recently bought out by metra I dont know if that changes the quality of the product, they are kinda over priced

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic